1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!
  4. Community Update August 2018. Read more here.

The Argument for Jews as a race.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Tonymount, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Donor

PR:BF2 Name:
    Tonymount
    Harry Ostrer, Jewish Professor of Genetics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (located in the Bronx, New York), said that he had “developed systematic ways to separate Jews from non-Jews.”

According to The Chronicle, Ostrer’s work “shows that geographically and culturally distant Jews still have more genes in common than they do with non-Jews around them, and that those genes can be traced back to the Levant, an area including modern-day Israel.”

”It shows we share in a biological tapestry, and are connected by these genetic threads,” Ostrer was quoted as saying in the article.

The DNA that he found also tightly linked Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews, two prominent culturally and geographically distinct groups; and some of these markers are shared by the present-day Palestinians.

Ostrer has published a new book, Legacy: A Genetic History of the Jewish People, issued by the Oxford University Press (one can bet the OUP will not be publishing anytime soon a “Genetic history of the European People,” though).

In the book, Ostrer “traces efforts by himself and others to map both the genes and the culture of Jews as they spread throughout the world, and he shows how the approaches can complement one another. He also takes on the volatile topic of population traits, arguing that it is extremely difficult to ascribe things like higher IQ to Jews,”The Chronicle continues

“His interest in the genetics of Jews also originated in medicine and attempts to understand why certain populations have higher risks of particular diseases, like specific forms of breast cancer. Years ago, while a professor at NYU, Ostrer started a project to identify DNA sequences that marked such populations. The sequences could also indicate how closely such groups were related, a kind of Jewish family tree.

“The differing DNA stretches are called haplotypes, and what Ostrer initiated, with several colleagues, was called the Jewish HapMap Project,” The Chronicle said.

This project has definitively shown a genetic commonality amongst Jews the world over, a remarkable achievement given the nature and length of the Jewish Diaspora.

“The only people it [Ostrer’s findings] would shock, says Seth Schwartz, associate director of Columbia University’s Institute for Israel and Jewish Studies, are those who believe that Judaism was created through conversion and intermarriage in many places outside the Middle East. ‘I think that paper blew Shlomo Sand’s arguments out of the water,’ he says.

“That argument, Schwartz says, is a modern reflection of a mid-19th century view among some Jews in the reform branch of the religion that Jewish identity had become secondary to the rise of the nation-state. ‘That view didn’t deny the genetics of Jews. It just said it wasn’t important. It said that now we are part of nations like Italy or Germany, and that’s our primary national identity and affiliation. Judaism is our religion.’ But it was not a widely held view. Traditionally, most Jews believed in a shared Middle Eastern origin. ‘Now we have a biological translation of the traditional story,’ says Schwartz.”:wink:
    VatsugC likes this.
  2. Offline

blacktea65
    huh I thought this is a gaming community
    Jamil_12345678901 likes this.
  3. Offline

Tester Foxtrot

jamil_12345678901
    wtf
  4. Offline
    MajorPlop MajorPlop Entropy isn't what it used to be

Squad Name:
    WIBBLE
    MajorPlop
    Thread moved to Off-Topic.

Excellent observation, well spotted. We also have a forum with the possibility to make threads and have discussions, such as this thread.

So discuss away, chaps.
  5. Offline
    Glow Glow Intelligence is chasing me, but I'm faster

Foxtrot

G1ow
    • Precisely what we don't want here. Offtopic and offensive. Keep it on-topic and mature or don't post.
    oy vey why are goyim talking about if the jews are a race or not

---image removed. offensive content----
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  6. Offline
    deviro deviro Provides coverage of the Battlefield

Media Team Senior Tester Foxtrot

Deviro
    What's the point of this again? What is there to discuss? You are not really initiating any disscusion here. You are just stating a fact and is waiting for us to react to it.
  7. Offline
    DJ_Bob DJ_Bob Only fools and horses work.

Foxtrot

DJ_Bob
    What is this crap? Another person copying something that they found and place it here for a "discussion." This isn't a discussion, he's copied something from the internet, posted it and sits back to witness the drama unfold.
  8. Offline
    GHOST_-DK- GHOST_-DK- "We are neutral in Finland, we attack everyone"

Manager Games Dept. Head Lead Tester PR:BF2 Senior Administrator Foxtrot

Studying architecture
    Squad Name:
    F|PRTA GHOST_-DK-
    GHOST_-DK-
    Haha what is this?
    JRSR09 likes this.
  9. Offline
    Siltics Siltics The one and only

PR:BF2 Senior Administrator Tester Foxtrot

Siltics
    So this is the most useless post i ever saw, no offense, but really?? Glow gets banned because of that post and you guys didn't even ban the worst guys? Were are you going with this? This post is bound to have crap posted by glow in here. Very low, really... just disappointed
  10. Offline

ArkUTD
    tony is making a discussion wishing to talk about this, if some believe this is a place to post mean things towards people/race, then it will be dealt with
    JRSR09 likes this.
  11. Offline
    GHOST_-DK- GHOST_-DK- "We are neutral in Finland, we attack everyone"

Manager Games Dept. Head Lead Tester PR:BF2 Senior Administrator Foxtrot

Studying architecture
    Squad Name:
    F|PRTA GHOST_-DK-
    GHOST_-DK-
    That is not the point?
    Buttnaked likes this.
  12. Offline

Community Dept. PRTA

Chav
    Maxim, Hayal_Israeli, JRSR09 and 2 others like this.
  13. Offline

Donor

Tonymount
    Ok, the where and the why. Last night whilst playing Beirut, a player made the statement " all Jews are Gay" whereby I kicked him for racism. There followed a raft of comments, some from PRTA members declaring Jews are not a race. I then stated that if you were to ask a, Jew he would tell you that he considered himself as part of the Jewish race. To which yet another PRTA member just typed Jews are not a race. I had read this article about 9 months ago (I would seem to have a penchant for bizarre reading material) so I decided to post a small part of it on here. Mainly in the hope that the aforementioned members might read it and understand the basis of my argument.

For those of you who made mention that it is obviously copied and pasted, WELL SPOTTED. I am neither learned in DNA analysis, or indeed an American college professor. For that matter neither am I an Anthropologist. At no point have I plagiarised this article or tried to pass this off as my own work, and if you took the time to read it you would see that the author in named.
    Hope this brings some light to this issue!
  14. Offline

Community Dept. PRTA

Chav
    Thank you for clarification Tonymount It makes a lot of people's jobs easier now. :smile:
    Tonymount likes this.
  15. Offline

Tester Foxtrot

jamil_12345678901
    So you think all prta members dont think the jews are a race?
  16. Offline
    deviro deviro Provides coverage of the Battlefield

Media Team Senior Tester Foxtrot

Deviro
    The post is still shit. Why didn't you give context?
    Buttnaked likes this.
  17. Offline

Donor

Tonymount
    Where did I say that ? Do you understand the meaning of the word "Some" if not, it means not all.
  18. Offline

Donor

Tonymount
    I just did. And your opinion is of very little value to me if you can't use decent language
  19. Offline

Tester Foxtrot

jamil_12345678901
    You keep saying "PRTA" members, and then deside to post it in the forums. Im just guessing you think all of us think that.
  20. Offline

Donor

Tonymount
    Never make guesses about other people. You'll learn that as you get older.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.