1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!
  4. PRTA Retro Map Pack Event, 18:00 PRT, 24th November 2018. Read more here.
  5. Currently a reserve server is in use as 'PRTA EU | Modern Conflict'.
    Follow this link to get to its tracker and bf2demo recordings
  6. Community Update August 2018. Read more here.

Information Tanks

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Santa, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Offline

Full Time Student
    PR:BF2 Name:
    Santa_
    Having tanks out in the battlefield can mean the difference between the success of your team, or its defeat. The effectiveness of the tank squad, however, is not based solely upon having a better tank, or more tanks, than the enemy team does. In order to be successful as a squad, you must first know the tank you are using, the responsibilities of a tank squad, engagement priorities, and tactics that can be used.

Know Your Tank

You should NEVER go out into the battlefield without knowing how to use the tank you are in. I am going to outline the different types of ammo that tanks can have.

Types of Ammo A Tank Can Have

1. ATGM Rounds: Basically, the ATGM is a wire-guided rocket that can be steered to wherever the mouse is pointed after the round is away. The ATGM should mainly be used to kill ANY type of armor, whether it be a TANK or an APC. It should NOT be used against weaker targets that do not pose much of a threat, such as a logi truck or jeep. The ATGM is a very powerful missle that will instant kill a TANK or APC, so it should be used with caution.

2. AP Rounds: Many people get confused with the use of AP rounds, as they believe that AP stands for "Anti-Personnel" instead of "Armour Piercing." AP (Armor Piercing) rounds should NOT be used against infantry, but instead they should be used against any kind of armored target, such as TANKs or APCs. Though this is not the best option to use against lightly armored vehicles, such as the BRDM or an Up-Armored HMmVW, it can be used for it and is highly effective against such targets.

3. HE Rounds: Contrary to popular belief, HE (High Explosive) rounds are NOT used to engage heavily armored target, such as TANKs or APCs. HE rounds are best used against infantry and light armored vehicles, as there is a much higher splash damage as opposed to AP rounds. Though HE rounds will kill enemy armor, it takes around double the amount of hits to do so.

4. WP Rounds: WP (White Phosphorus) is a type of smoke round that is launched out of the tank barrel like a normal AP or HE round would. This type of round is used if smoke is needed at a distance to help conceal friendly troops, or blind enemies. The WP round is exclusive to the British Challenger Tank.

5. Smoke Canisters: The driver and gunner of the tank both get smoke launchers that put up a wall of smoke in the direction it is facing. The driver's smoke launches smoke 180 degrees in front of the tank, and the gunner launches smoke 180 degrees in the direction the turret is facing. This kind of smoke should be used when you have to make hasty retreat, as it only lasts for a few seconds and it does not last as long as regular smoke grenades.

6: Coaxial Machine Gun: This is the gunner's secondary weapon and is used solely against infantry and VERY soft targets, such as a Jeep or a Logi.

Responsibilities of A Tank Squad

As a Tank, you have a responsibility to support your team in various ways, mainly making by sure that the enemy armor stays off of the infantry's back. One enemy TANKs or APCs can easily wipe out squads of friendly's with ease. Your next responsibility is to help mop up enemy infantry so that your infantry can advance easier. And last, but not least, destroying enemy FOBs and emplacements as needed. It is much easier for a TANK to destroy a FOB than it is for a group of infantry to.

Engagement Priorities

A TANK squad's first priority should be killing any kind of mobile armor that have the ability to kill them (TANKs and APCs with ATGM launchers). Once the main threat has been eliminated, you should move on to help support other squads on your team, killing infantry FOBs and Mobile AA as needed. However, withing 15-20 minutes of destroying any kind of their armor, it will be back up again and you will have to re-prioritize all over again.

Tactics

For starters, Always keep AP rounds loaded at all times, unless you are engaging infantry or soft targets. However, if you are in a tank that has an ATGM launcher, such as the T-90, Type 98, or the Merkava, you should keep ATGM loaded instead of AP rounds, as they are an instant kill against all forms of armor.

The Driver: The driver is the most important person inside any TANK, and having a good driver can mean the difference between the life and death of a TANK. In order for the TANK to be successful the driver MUST:

1. Keep an eye on any direction that the gunner is not watching. I have seen many times where the driver is not keeping an eye on other directions of the tank and they get taken down, without the slightest idea of where the shot came from. Watching in directions other than the one that the gunner is facing could make the difference between killing, and being killed.

2. The driver should also keep the tank in adequate cover, giving protection from as many sides as possible, while still giving the gunner a decent firing zone. The less parts of the TANK that you have exposed, the better the probability of you surviving are.

3. And finally, the driver of a tank should listen to the gunner's instructions,as he is the one who is in control of the main firepower of the tank. The gunner knows best as to where to position the tank for the best shot. One of the most important forms of communication between the driver and gunner, is the gunner telling the driver when to start moving and when to stop. The better the communication between the driver and the gunner is, the better off the tank is in the long run, especially during engagements.

Now I am going to highlight a few tactics that can be used for many of the tanks in PR.

T-62:

The T-62, the weakest of all the tanks in PR, usually comes in pairs of two for whichever faction gets them. These tanks have VERY weak armor and a VERY slow reload speed. These tanks are not the best choice to take armor head on, and because of that different tactics must be used.

1. ALWAYS keep the two T-62s TOGETHER when they are being used. They have weak armor, and because of this they are better off staying together. A lone T-62 is a dead T-62.

2. Use HIT AND RUN TACTICS when using these tanks. With almost any tanks, it takes two rounds of AP to destroy them. With the slow reload speed that the T-62s have, rushing up on an enemy tank with both the T-62s is the best option. Destroying them without giving them any time to react.

This concludes my guide on how to run a successful tank squad. If there is anything that I missed, or if some information is inaccurate, please feel free to say so!
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    EminentEnd, Jagira, Ban.13 and 2 others like this.
  2. Offline
    FFG FFG My OCD makes Teamspeak look pretty.

PR:BF2 Administrator GC

Self employed
    Discord:
    FFG #3051
    FFG
    Nice post santa, Im guessing its still WIP. Cant wait for the final piece.
    ReapersPr0digy likes this.
  3. Offline
    ReapersPr0digy ReapersPr0digy Currently watching PRTA go off the deep end

Dream killer
    ReapersPr0digy
    WP is white phosphorus.
  4. Offline

Full Time Student
    Santa_
    This is just a basic guide and is not the final product. I hope to be able to have a fuller, more in depth guide sometime soon.
  5. Offline

banReflex
    Lmao, looks like my trolling about WP rounds was successful :biggrin:

I've been telling this to people for months.
    rPoXoTauJIo likes this.
  6. Offline
    Disnoxxio Disnoxxio A Thorn in their side.

Disnoxxio
    Wat, wp is just smoke in PR right? XD
  7. Offline

bandwevil
    Yep. WP is classified as a chemical weapon if used offensively, I believe, so you're not going to see it used as such apart from Vietnam or something.
  8. Offline

banReflex
    Yes
  9. Offline
    Chaoz Chaoz We like sports and we don't care who knows

Dank meme Historian
    Chaoz
    I've never seen a wp round actually Leave smoke though unless their glitched.
  10. Offline

Rutek.
    I can't agree with that. Of course the communication inside the tank (or any other vehicle/squad) is the key to success, but in my opinion the driver is "essentailly" the commander of the tank. Why:
    1. The gunner can't see that much from his sight.
    2. The driver have 2x sights (commander's and driver's)
    3. The gunner should be responsible only for spotting and engaging enemy targets.
    4. The driver should be responsible for vehicle as a whole, for it safety and and efficiency in battlefield. He should decide where to go based on given informations from gunner/others squads. He should be also responsible for communication with others tanks/squads.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  11. Offline

Rutek.
    Hull-down

[​IMG]

Hide position - The tank is fully hidden behind the cover.

Turret-down position - The tank's hull and main turret are hidden behind the cover, the commander's sight is above. In this position commander can spot threats without exposing the tank. (Commander's sight is higher than gunner's.)

Hull-down position - The tank's hull is hidden behind the cover, but the main turret is above. The tank is protected from enemy fire and the gunner can engage enemy targets spotted earlier by tank's commander.

The point in doing this is to minimize the threat. It should work like this:
    1. Tank is hidden. (Hide position)
    2. Tank takes position. (Hide -> Turret-down)
    3. The commander spots enemy targets. (Turret-down)
    4. The gunner is ready to engage enemy target. (Turret-down -> Hull-down)
    5. The gunner engages enemy target. (Hull-down)
    6. The gunner is realoading. (Hull-down -> Turret-down)
    7. Commander has spotted another target. The gunner reloaded and he is ready to engage that target. (Turret-down -> Hull-down)
    8. The gunner engages enemy target. (Hull-down)
    9. etc.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    EminentEnd likes this.
  12. Offline
    Mattytoosack Mattytoosack I love cock on my face

Events AREA 94

Call girl
    [PR]VOG|Mattytwosack
    Don't forget about TOW's! Also, it might be worth adding in there about how to do engine checks where at and for how long. Lastly mention something about the MG on the top, when and when not to use it. I once had a driver who would get on it every time i didn't have gun depression for the infantry we were attacking. He did that instead of moving and then got sniped and I had to go pick him up. Also, mention something about one manning too.
  13. Offline
    Nate. Nate. No Unit No Hope

Nate.
    Fully agree. The Driver is the boss.
    The driver should always be the squadleader. He tells the gunner which ammo to load, where to look when popping up behind a hill or corner, etc. Same goes for APC's.
    nayow and Liam like this.
  14. Offline

â„¢vitunhomo
    It's although much more harder for the driver to know the situation for the gunner.
    Try this next time, gun a tank for someone and you will see that as gunner you are way more aware of everything and more patient.
    As driver you just stop and do 360 looking constantly and thats about it you just get bored right away and by that you start making mistakes.Listen to your gunner .
    Atoli_Kusaka, Mattytoosack and Nate. like this.
  15. Offline

Atoli_Kusaka
    Agreed with santa and inspectura. I can say the same things for CAS choppers.

As long as they came to the battlefield for killing enemy units, gunner should be the brain of this tank.
    If there are two players in the tank squad, good player should be a gunner and driver should move as per gunner's request.
    As long as CAS chopper's main weapon is gunner's LG/LT missle and guns, gunner should be the guy who decides what they will do.

In both case, if you are the driver/pilot, you should not move randomly/strangely.
    Because your gunner cannot understand why are you moving like that and cannot tell what are you trying to do.
    I always request 2 things for my driver
    1. Keep your tank stable, go straight, do not try anything strange
    2. Do not step on(into?) a mine
    These only 2 are the requirement for the tank driver. Only two.

However I also know that Rutek is good PR player, his doctrine should be tried.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  16. Offline
    Nate. Nate. No Unit No Hope

Nate.
    well obvisouly the driver should listen to what his gunner is telling him. What use is his gunner if he doesn't have an angle. Driver makes soundchecks, driver communicates with rest of the team, driver decides route and also spots enemies for the gunner.
    No matter what you think, in the end it comes down to good teamplay between the two :wink:
    ReapersPr0digy and Atoli_Kusaka like this.
  17. Offline
    Mattytoosack Mattytoosack I love cock on my face

Events AREA 94

Call girl
    [PR]VOG|Mattytwosack
    I usually let my driver deal with comms and let him do what he think is best for the tank, while I shoot and scan. (Aka in charge of the tank). Really, when it comes down to it nobody has authority besides the SL. I mean yea you can delegate power to individual tanks, but you then risk being split up and spread out. It is mainly dependent on the players and play style.
  18. Offline
    FFG FFG My OCD makes Teamspeak look pretty.

PR:BF2 Administrator GC

Self employed
    Discord:
    FFG #3051
    FFG
    Tank crews are a lot better if both people can do both roles.
  19. Offline
    Ace Ace

AceInvader
    I just solo tanks.
    Atoli_Kusaka and FFG like this.
  20. Offline

nayow
    I agree with Nate when he says the driver is the "boss". Obviously both have to listen to each other because perfect gunner-driver teamwork is the key, but the driver still remains in a position with way more situational awareness than his gunner! You're definitely and obviously not more aware of everything as a gunner, simply because you don't hear what's around you and you can't spot stuff all around you as fast as the driver can. If you feel like it when you gun for someone then this someone is most likely not a great driver lol. For CAS it's clearly not the same thing since it's the opposite.

Santa, you say that it is important to know your tank then change this WP definition to SMOKE SHELLS asap :tounge:
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    blacktea65 and Nate. like this.