1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!
  4. PRTA Map Test Event - Adak, 18:00 PRT 17th November 2018. Read more here.
  5. Currently a reserve server is in use as 'PRTA EU | Modern Conflict'.
    Follow this link to get to its tracker and bf2demo recordings
  6. Community Update August 2018. Read more here.

Suggestion Map Order and Morning Restart

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woxbel, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Offline

Community Dept. Resident Moderator

PR:BF2 Name:
    Woxbel
    My previous two threads where aimed at game quality which should help with Seeding and server popularity. This one however will be some of my thoughts on Seeding.

Like I said they are my thoughts on how the current Seeding could be improved. With that I am not trying to say I know it all or that I am right it is just how I currently feel. I do however think you should consider them seriously if you agree with my analysis. And I trust you will since some people where arguing for extreme measures(throwing out the rulebook) that might help seeding in my previous thread. The suggestions I will offer in this one are way less extreme than that.

I believe there is different kinds of seeding there is seeding in European morning afternoon and there is reseeding after a server crash. They need different things and work differently.

Map Order

Recently the first map after server restart got changed to Kokan Skirmish I think this is a great move and has proved effective already for reseeding after crashes. It used to be hard to motivate people to rejoin the server since people knew running next wasn’t an option and everyone hates playing Fallujah Ins for 1 hour. Skirmish is short and quick so everyone knows if they rejoin they will get to play a normal quality match pretty soon. So as far as I am concerned this is great and should stay this way.

Currently however after a restart the Map Order is Kokan skirmish, Kokan skirmish, Al basrah Insurgency. I have the impression the first two are set and that the remainder is alphabetical.

This isn’t Ideal my preferred setup would be a skirmish map(Kokan works well but I am fine with a different one) followed by one of the Fallujah INS layers. The advantage of this is still having that first Skirmish round but then automatically getting Fallujah Ins without the need for admin interference in the morning best of both worlds if you want.

Morning Restart

There used to be a restart at 6 in the morning(Dutch time) this was forced and would result in a kick of everyone on the server. I think it got changed to only restart if it is empty because back than sometimes people would log on before 6 to afk seed or some random players where already playing.

Currently this doesn’t happen or almost doesn’t happen and secondarily there aren’t enough admins available in the morning to set the right map. And I think the benefit of those odd occasions where there is a few people on before 6 don’t weigh up to having Soul Rebel AAS the whole day. So I would prefer that the Morning restart becomes enforced again I guess you could move it to 1 hour earlier as a compromise.

Once again these are my opinions not saying they are valid but if you agree Fallujah seeds better in the morning than Al basrah or Two Kokan Skirmish rounds in a row for that matter than you should be in favor of this change especially if you were advocating for more extreme measures before.

1. Sysadmin 3. PR:BF2 Senior Administrator
    SucharMistrz and agus92 like this.
  2. Offline
    Wicca Wicca Project Founder

Head of PRTA Community Dept. Head Lead Moderator Squad Lead Admin NATO Potato

IT Support Engineer
    Wicca111
    Honestly Woxbel, we could do with another senior admin, you seem to care more than most, why not stop beating around the bush and join.
    Camel, BubblyNinja and agus92 like this.
  3. Offline

Resident Moderator 9ª Compañía de Infantería

Sgto|agus92
    I completely agree on everything. But instead of resetting at 6 or 5, reset at 4, that way you ensure you're not throwing anyone out.
  4. Offline

PR:BF2 Seeder Elite Infiltration Force

Discord:
    =SOG=BROKEN_ARROW#2244
    ameen
    join seeders wox or be an admin you will be the best,Wicca we should have something like seeders applications and aprove the ones we see alot in seeding time
  5. Offline

PR:BF2 Seeder Elite Infiltration Force

Discord:
    =SOG=BROKEN_ARROW#2244
    ameen
    Ahh..i didnt say he said something wrong,he has a point and its a right one..
  6. Offline

IT Support Engineer
    Wicca111
  7. Offline

PR:BF2 Administrator PRTA

[PR]VOG|Dr.Bobcat
    Make woxbell an admin plz.

We has been around the community since "ever" and he is one of the most mature players I've played with.
    We could create a special type of admin like "guest/veteran/honour" admin, for ppl like woxbell.
    Camel, Wicca and WeedT0aster like this.
  8. Offline

IT Support Engineer
    Wicca111
    We can just force him to be admin
    Camel, ameen and Dr.Bobcat like this.
  9. Offline

PR:BF2 Administrator PRTA

[PR]VOG|Dr.Bobcat
    We should do it! :tounge:

Give him setnext and some other admin commands so he can manage the server while everybody is sleeping :tounge:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ameen and agus92 like this.
  10. Offline
    tobi-the-fraggel tobi-the-fraggel 'Princess Negativity'

Sysadmin Donor

Junior Data Analyst
    tobi-the-fraggle
    It doesn't matter if someone is a manager, moderator, admin, leader, seeder, member or just a user of our server. Anyone can bring up suggestions at any time. We as PRTA highly appreciate suggestions to improve our server! Feedback is ultimately the only real way for us to track and qualify what people want, who play on our server and therefore is more then welcome.

Thank you for your feedback Woxbel !
    I don't want to validate it but I feel the need to correct or emphasize a statement in it. You said:

(..) There used to be a restart at 6 in the morning(Dutch time) this was forced and would result in a kick of everyone on the server. I think it got changed to only restart if it is empty because back than sometimes people would log on before 6 to afk seed or some random players where already playing.
    Currently this doesn’t happen or almost doesn’t happen (...)

You actually explained the current behavior in the second sentence of this quote. :thumbsup:
    Let me explain it in detail. There is a daily restart at 6:00 PRT/UTC. As you said yourself however, the restart only happens, if the server is empty. So if there is one player on the server, the restart job won't restart the server. Let me show you the restarts in October:
    Code (Text):
    1. ~/main $ grep ': restart' .svctl/log/2018-10* | grep '06:00' | cut -d: -f2-4,7
    2. 2018-10-01T06:00:02 INFO driver: restart
    3. 2018-10-02T06:00:01 INFO driver: restart
    4. 2018-10-03T06:00:01 INFO driver: restart
    5. 2018-10-05T06:00:02 INFO driver: restart
    6. 2018-10-08T06:00:01 INFO driver: restart
    7. 2018-10-09T06:00:01 INFO driver: restart
    8. 2018-10-11T06:00:02 INFO driver: restart
    9. 2018-10-12T06:00:02 INFO driver: restart
    So as you can see the server restart works as intended. However, there seems to be a gab since the 12th. I checked the job and found a little syntax error which snuck in during a test on Friday 2 weeks ago apparently. So thanks for pointing that out. :smile:
    The error is fixed now and restarts will take place every day again. Well, as long as the server is empty of course.

This is why feedback is so important gentlemen. Don't do anything that could scare people away from giving us feedback.
    Camel, agus92 and Wicca like this.
  11. Offline

IT Support Engineer
    Wicca111
    BOOH! :walkingdead:
  12. Offline

Sysadmin Donor

Junior Data Analyst
    tobi-the-fraggle
    [​IMG]
    agus92 likes this.
  13. Offline

Community Dept. 9ª Compañía de Infantería

Teacher
    Cptn|Camel
    Well said, tobi. Any healthy community has open and functioning feedback channels.

It is indeed great that you Woxbel bother to bring things up. About you joining, my two cents:

[​IMG]
    agus92 likes this.
  14. Offline
    Sloan Sloan Pirate

Technical Dept. Head Lead Coder Sysadmin

Sloan[EEF]
    tobi-the-fraggel
    How about some more restart options? If nothing happens when someone is already on the server then it should be OK to run the conditional restart script every 30 minutes.
  15. Offline

Sysadmin Donor

Junior Data Analyst
    tobi-the-fraggle
    Well, you are the lead-admin. Just tell me what options you want and I'll put them in :wink:
  16. Offline
    Sloan Sloan Pirate

Technical Dept. Head Lead Coder Sysadmin

Sloan[EEF]
    It should attempt to restart every 30 minutes now.
    agus92 likes this.
  17. Offline

Sysadmin Donor

Junior Data Analyst
    tobi-the-fraggle
    Great. I am looking forward to see 48 restarts in the logs on some days....
    agus92 likes this.
  18. Offline

Resident Moderator 9ª Compañía de Infantería

Sgto|agus92
    Leave that restart attempt frequency for 2-6 AM and drop it to 2h on the rest of the day.
  19. Offline

Sysadmin Donor

Junior Data Analyst
    tobi-the-fraggle
    I guess I misunderstood the actual request at first. As I understand it now, we are looking for a better way to restart the server in the morning hours. Or in other words, working around a single afk player stopping the server from restarting. Amirite?

Sloan's approach can be done, but wouldn't be my first choice.
    agus92 your idea is also doable. Whether we should start at 2am or not is debatable however.
    There is a third option. Instead of defining the condition for a server restart as 'restart if empty', we could as well say 'restart if less then [3|4|5|6|7|8] players on the server'. A number somewhere between 5 and 10 seems reasonable imo. It is too small to be considered 'active playing' or to be more then afk leftover's from the night before.

Sloan's idea is the closest to 'serve a fresh instance for seeders'. We could add a test condition to avoid restarting 40+ times in worst cases.
    agus92 likes this.
  20. Offline

Community Dept. Resident Moderator

Woxbel
    Yes that was exactly my point although the issue probably looked bigger than it is because the server didn't restart for 2 weeks. That is also what I meant when I said “Currently this doesn’t happen or almost doesn’t happen”. Changing the condition to a number seems reasonable or as an alternative just force the restart without a condition like how it ussed to work.
    agus92 likes this.