1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!
  4. Contact! - End of Campaign. Read more here.

Forum Question: Tooltips

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Camel, May 25, 2018.

1. Offline

Community Dept. 9ª Compañía de Infantería

PR:BF2 Name:
    Capt|Camel
    Is there any way to have a tooltip display in this forum over elements such as images or links? Like, when using "title=test text" in other languages.

I have tried a few different ways, but I can't succeed. Does anyone know if it is possible at all?
  2. Offline
    tobi-the-fraggel tobi-the-fraggel 'Princess Negativity'

Sysadmin Tournament - Admin Donor

Junior Data Analyst
    tobi-the-fraggle
    Hey Camel

You mean as an bbcode option in forum posts?
  3. Offline

Community Dept. 9ª Compañía de Infantería

Capt|Camel
    Yeah, something like that... unless there is a better, different way to achieve it, in which case I meant that one originally.

Same as the "Wicca Braininvader" appears when one hovers the mouse over the Wicca pic on your profile box here on the left.

To be more specific, I was wondering if we could get Tooltips to appear over the ribbons that La-9 use in our forum signature.
  4. Offline
    tobi-the-fraggel tobi-the-fraggel 'Princess Negativity'

Sysadmin Tournament - Admin Donor

Junior Data Analyst
    tobi-the-fraggle
    I understand your request. Sadly there is no such option allowing users to define tooltip messages via bbcode. The signature field doesn't interpret html. In consequence this means you cannot access xenforo's tooltip classes from the signature box and therefore cannot add tooltips to uploaded images.

We also cannot do this from within the backend. I don't see a convenient way to target the image positions in your signature. XenForo is a CMS. So the actual website code is dynamically generated based on configuration items and custom templated html+css code. So you have the option to build the website in a UI with only minor active code writing. In order to implement a feature as requested, someone would need to write a php plugin for xenforo.

There is a little helper available for xenforo. The so called 'BBcode Manager'. It's a plugin allowing to write custom bbcode. This most likely would ease the development of a custom bbcode with a tooltip attribute. Still it requires a bit of effort and our resources are limited. There is a downside with such a feature as well. We basically would allow to post 'hidden' messages our moderator team can only see when actively looking for it. So it could become an issue if widely used by users.

Don't expect such a feature in the near future. Maybe Temexter, cassius23 and Sloan would like to add info or ideas for a solution however.