1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!
  4. Community Update August 2018. Read more here.

Information Fireteams in Project reality

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Disnoxxio, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Offline
    Disnoxxio Disnoxxio A Thorn in their side.

PR:BF2 Name:
    Disnoxxio
    This guide is written by Flix Member and leader of Spearhead, all credits go and belong to Flix

Working with fireteams

This short guide is based on what was taught during my conscription, [FSG]Oskar’s guide on how to lead a squad and modified to fit the actual gameplay.

The idea is simple: divide your squad into two individual units. The purpose? Two separate units are both more flexible and mobile than a big lumpy one.

Pros

- The squad can support its own movement, increasing the mobility.

- If the SL gets taken out, there’s a natural successor in the fireteam leader.

- Only half as many soldiers for the SL to micromanage.

- Players tend to get more serious, thus increasing their attention to orders and such, when fireteams are implemented.

- Being a fireteam leader is a good first step towards a fully fletched squad leader.

Cons

- Dividing a unit can damage the cohesion, hurting the overall team play.

- It requires both time and somewhat competent players to setup and actually work as intended.

- You’ll need a competent fireteam leader.

- A good radio discipline is more critical, especially if the fireteams are separated from each other.

Description: A fireteams is a small unit, usually consisting of 3-4 soliders (in PR). An ideal fireteam is self sufficient and can take on simple missions such as suppression, fortification, search and destroy, ect. Using fireteams doesn’t really require more of the SL in terms of time and effort (it should actually make his job easier), you just have to think of the squad as two units working together.

A small tip: Unless it’s a stressed situation, don’t order your FL to do something; ask him to do it. He should know what his unit is capable of, and can better judge their current situation. Maybe they have spotted movement in the trees on the other side of the field you want him to cross, thus making what you thought of as a nice stroll over a flowery field into a potential death trap. Trust might take time, but it’s vital to have between the SL and the FL to get this working.

There's many ways to actually setup your fireteams. If you have the time and your squad fills up quickly, you can divide your squad during the briefing phase; that is, the time between the squad was formed and you've actually spawned. Keep in mind that this might cause some confusion and should be avoided if you want to get a quick start. I've found that it's often easier to setup you fireteams on the go. One way to do this is give one SM, like a LAT or a AR, a clear mission and the attach some supportive troops to him. Lets say you're holding a cache and you hear a APC incoming. If you feel that you have a competent SM on the RPG, give him some freedom by tasking him with APC-hunting in the close vicinity and attach a medic+rifleman as his company and support.

Voilá: You have now created a fireteam.

The setup is both situational and up to the SL’s preferences, but this is what I’m usually go for:

Team 1 (T1)
    Officer (Squad leader)
    Medic
    Automatic Rifleman
    Rifleman

Team 2 (T2)
    Grenadier (Fireteam leader)
    Medic
    Breacher
    Rifleman

///

Team 1
    Officer (Squad leader)
    Medic
    Breacher
    Rifleman Anti-Tank
    Rifleman

Team 2
    Automatic Rifleman (FTL)
    Medic
    Rifleman/Machinegunner/Grenadier

The reasoning behind this is fairly simple. Both teams have good firepower, with T2 being more mobile than team T1, whilst T1 has better tools for keeping the enemy occupied. If possible, I try to set T1’s rifleman as the AR’s “best buddy”, always sticking close to the AR, checking his flanks, providing corrections during long range engagements and keep him with filled up with ammunition (Idea taken form [FSG] Oskar’s splendid SL guide). A medic in both teams is more or less essential, if you have enough troops; chances are, you’ll not always fight side by side, and a man down can disrupt your whole mission. This setup is focused on taking down soft targets, but you can exchange your riflemen for LAT/HAT/AA, if needed.

So, how would I actually use fire teams?

Standard procedure during contact would sound something like this on the squad radio:

“-Contact, front! Infantry, 50 meters up.
    -Team 1, engage. Team 2, try flanking deep, east! ”

Certainly takes less time than ordering one soldier at the time, doesn’t it?

Now, in that scenario, we’re assuming that we can actually overcome the enemy. In case the SL feels that he’s outgunned, for instance by a APC, he might want to fall back instead. This brings us into the next topic.

Moving with fire teams is based around one simple concept: keep as many guns in the front as the situation enables. With this in mind, you have to adapt to your current environment.

Do you want to get around unnoticed? Form a single column, with T1 in front and T2 in the back. In case you get contact upfront, T2 should have enough space to sneak around and flank.

Searching for FOB’s in open areas? Form a single line, with T1 on your left and T2 on your right. You’ll cover a larger area, and you’ll outgun a enemy squad, unless he also moves in a single line. Either fireteam has the opportunity to flank, depending on where the contact is on your line.

Moving along a street with high buildings on both sides? Order two columns, one on each side of the road, so you have eyes on all the rooftops you’re exposed to.

Want to cross a open field with little to no cover? T1 provided cover, T2 runs to the nearest cover → T2 provides cover, T1 dashes forward → T1 provides cover, T2 rush… (rinse and repeat)

Getting overwhelmed by the enemy? Pop some smoke and do the same thing as you did when getting over that field, but backwards instead. Who knows, you might just kill off the pursuing squad if they're stupid enough.

This is all just examples of how this can be done. More advanced movement requires training, so you might want to start out small. Also, most of these maneuvers can be used on a larger scale; just exchange each fireteam with a full squad and suddenly you have platoon sized tactics instead.

Remember kids: Keep It Simple, Stupid (K.I.S.S). Focus on what might work, don't make things too complicated.

Now, just some general thoughts, ideas and tips regarding squad leading.

- If someone does something bad, tell them what they did wrong. But, more importantly: If someone does something good, tell them what they did well! You’ll get a nice and more positive squad by pointing out the good stuff. It’s also a good way to get good long term relationships with competent players, something you should always strive for.

- Don’t sprint unless you really have to. When I’m playing as a grunt, it happens quite frequently that the squad gets all spread out, with the SL way ahead of the rest. This is often because the SL wants to be everywhere, all the time, and forgets that a good AR is alway looking for nice spots to provide cover from, a good rifleman keeps his eyes on both rooftops and windows and a good medic keeps track on all his squad members, thus slowing their general walking pace. Sure, the squad should always follow the SL, but don’t hinder your squad members from keeping their guns ready by trying to outrun every single one of them.

- If someone does not understand what you’re saying, it’s your responsibility. If your squad members get spread out it’s your responsibility (unless they’re retarded, in which case you might consider kicking them). You can’t really blame your squad members for failure; if you’re an inspiring leader, they’ll always try their best to get the job done.

- Remind you members to communicate with each other. If you’re tasked with searching through a village, order them to work in pairs. That way, chances are lower that they’ll get taken down one-by-one. If possible, never send a single squad member off on their own.

-You don't always have to lead by example. Sure, it's easier to make the squad go where you want if you're on point, but it might be a good idea to put someone else there, like a breacher. You already have more than enough things on your hands, with managing the squad, communicating with the other squads and such, so there's no real need for you to also keep your twitch reflexes ready all the time. If you really want to stay in the back, put the AR in T2 and let them take point. Use markers to direct the movement and focus on the tasks only you can accomplish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This guide is written by Flix Member and leader of Spearhead, all credits go to Flix

If you have anything to add feel free to come up with suggestions!
    EminentEnd, Foxy1, Simba and 5 others like this.
  2. Offline

Kalugaaa
    tell us about keypad things :biggrin:
  3. Offline

Economics 4 life
    Thedutchboss
    Back in the days when i wasn't a cas whore 24/7 and used to squadlead this worked either great, i remember going 45-6 with a squad of pubbbers on battle of la drang. Or horrible cus some people didnt had the brains to understand me. And also annoying was when someone left and I had no time to explain them what we were doing
    Simba and Ban.13 like this.
  4. Offline

Economics 4 life
    Thedutchboss
    Also back in the days me and evyatar tried to make a small platoon by both making a squad of 4-6 men, but both times we tried this it was a disaster.
  5. Offline

Infinity-101
    10 guys divided over two squads... didn't go that well (+be sure to check 38.15):

6. Offline

banReflex
    I played that round, was ages ago.
    DanielNL likes this.
  7. Offline
    Flix Flix SH posterboy

Flix
    That's... A lot of text.
  8. Offline
    TuntematonSika TuntematonSika Your local homicidal pig.

Student
    TuntematonSika
    [​IMG]

jokes aside this is actually pretty interesting, I should give this a shot.
  9. Offline

Economics 4 life
    Thedutchboss
    Looool Was that the round where i was checking out an area because I thought i saw a guy and then you sneaked up behind me saying psst psst and i sprayed you in the face with a 180
  10. Offline

Sandepp
    Never try this in public servers. 9 out of 10 it'll turn out to be a disaster. Faggots will never listen properly and you end up wasting time. Setting a fireteam when most sqyad mates don't know the role of their kit is useless.
    DerelictMonster likes this.
  11. Offline
    Wicca Wicca Project Founder

Head of PRTA Community Dept. Head Lead Moderator Squad Lead Admin NATO Potato

IT Support Engineer
    Wicca111
    I have done fireteams alot of the time, usually it works since I send in one fireteam, they get rekt, and I fall back and set a rally point. And they repeat the process.
    Sandepp likes this.
  12. Offline

Sandepp
    1) Split fireteams. Faggots don't listen properly and derp around. Spam mumble asking which firwteam they are.
    2) Assign fireteam leader. Everyone including him forgets the fact that he is the FT leader and then spam mumble for reporting contacts.
    3)Medics and AR somehow end up taking point and leading the squad. Medic attempts complex flanks and gets killed. AR tries to get to a better vantage point and ends up getting stuck.
    just one of the few problems when I try to micro manage stuff and assign fireteams.
  13. Offline

Economics 4 life
    Thedutchboss
    It didnt before 1.0 just sayin
  14. Offline
    Disnoxxio Disnoxxio A Thorn in their side.

Disnoxxio
    Oh God here comes the pre 1.0 shit again.
    Should I rephrase my ''old man on a bench talking about how everything was better back in the days''.
  15. Offline

banReflex
    Wut, I have no idea, we were in the same squad... And I had the awesome PPSH.
  16. Offline

BUT ITS DA TRUF
  17. Offline
    TuntematonSika TuntematonSika Your local homicidal pig.

Student
    TuntematonSika
  18. Offline

Economics 4 life
    Thedutchboss
    magic conch.jpg
  19. Offline

Economics 4 life
    Thedutchboss
  20. Offline

banReflex
    Shut the fuck up 1.0 newfag, back to ur noob corner!!1!!1!!!