1. If you think someone deserves attention for their great work, shoot them a kudos here:
    Kudos Thread If they have done something really unique, consider recommending them for a medal here: Medal Nomination Form
  2. Hey Guest, would be great if you'd chip in here. All support is greatly appreciated!
  3. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.

Announcement Contact! Season 3 Prep-Meeting 1st of November 2020 @ 1800 UTC.

Discussion in 'News' started by PRTA Bot, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Offline
    dejan9122

dejan9122 PRTA

Defense contractor for ВВСРФ
    When will this event be taking place?

2. Online
    Wicca

Wicca Project Founder Events Dept. Head Comms Dept. Head Head of PRTA Games Dept. Head Community Dept. Head PR Lead Administrator Squad Lead Admin Potato Regiment

IT Support Engineer
    PR:BF2 Name:
    Wicca111
    The meeting will be taking place on the 1st of November 2020 @ 1800 UTC/ 2000 CET.

3. Offline
    DanielNL

DanielNL tactical skilled asset whore

Squad Name:
    [QRF]DanielNL
    and u smoke cigarettes?

4. Offline
    antoniopiano

antoniopiano 1st South American Infantry Division

in LatinoAmerica wifi and computers are really expensive and squad is a exigent game
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 25, 2020 ---
    I'm sorry I made the wrong post

JiunKimSouth and Wicca like this.
  5. Offline
    fecht_niko

fecht_niko POV Leader

skill comparison is actually pretty easy. POV > other clans > rest

6. Offline
    Sloan

Sloan Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Technical Dept. Head Sysadmin Lead Coder

Sloan[EEF]
    In before POV ragequit pre-signup because they don't like being penalised for ragequitting.

tobi-the-fraggel and Philrow like this.
  7. Offline
    CAS_ual_TY

CAS_ual_TY PR Guest Administrator Media Team AREA 94

Because of
    a) You
    b) Squad

Smek and Philrow like this.
  8. Offline
    Golden_Pilot

Golden_Pilot Rise of the Arabs

It's a new Arab clan just joined the PR community and I'm training them to be able from joining the events and the tournaments.

Sloan likes this.
  9. Offline
    Daniel

Daniel PR Guest Administrator THOT Donor

just give them ur maphacks

LiPOTO likes this.
  10. Offline
    =MeRk= BluFFeR

=MeRk= BluFFeR PR Guest Administrator =MeRk=

Why cant we have 48v48, two balances sides,which is monitored on a game basis, where squads could be moved between the two sides with out any restrictions by moderators as and when required.
    Standard maps, with standard factions chosen at random.
    Score based win system which adds up the winning sides remaining tickets.
    Out of X amount of maps, who ever has the highest at the end wins, simples...

Seriously it's as simple as that to have a good tournament, why do you lot always go down the fking over complicated way every time.

People here just want a good game nothing more, not go to the shops for a calculator to work out how many points they have.

Golden_Pilot, cassius23 and Smek like this.
  11. Offline
    Smek

Smek IC

Foxtrot>POV

12. Offline
    Mattytoosack

Mattytoosack AREA 94

A: People want to play with their friends and wont play without them and if they dont play we dont have enough players, or have enough skillfully players to properly balance the teams.

Sloan likes this.
  13. Online
    Wicca

Wicca Project Founder Events Dept. Head Comms Dept. Head Head of PRTA Games Dept. Head Community Dept. Head PR Lead Administrator Squad Lead Admin Potato Regiment

IT Support Engineer
    Wicca111
    Join the meeting, and express your points there. I'm sure you can convince us :smile:

14. Offline
    tobi-the-fraggel

tobi-the-fraggel 'Princess Negativity'

Junior Data Analyst
    With all due respect but tell that to all the guys who implemented matchmaking systems in multiplayers games or those in "classic" competitive gaming like chess.
    In case you are interested have a look in here → http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2006/01/ranking_systems.html

I guess you are measuring teams based on skirmish results instead of measuring single players? If yes, how do you factor in asset usage? I mean, my question assumes assets won't take place in those "balance measuring rounds". Correct me if I am wrong.

I recognize the reasoning for this attempt to balance tournament teams. The actual player base is quite small though. I am worried about how reasonable a tournament on this scale actually is. You also may scare off quite a number of people with this, making success even less likely to happen. Just notice comments like this ↓

Wouldn't it be possible to measure skill based on pre-existing tracker data?
    Is there actually interest in an event like this? No offense to anyone, I haven't played this game for more then a year. So I honestly don't know how viable such a massively scaled event system would be. Just by my "from time to time" checking of prspy I'd say an 80/20 solution might be more suitable. In other words, the invested effort doesn't seem to justify the possible ROI. That's just an impression though. Nothing based on any real data. So, I could be totally wrong and someone will probably just quote this part and say "your are wrong" to get over with my comment. Which is also totally fine. :smile:

Anyhow, best regards
    some old friend

Woxbel likes this.
  15. Offline
    VTRaptor

VTRaptor (⌐ ͡■ ͜ʖ ͡■) Jednostka Wojskowa Komandosów

To all the people that made skill measuring system ---> you were wrong, it can't work in PR.

K-Massive likes this.
  16. Online
    Wicca

IT Support Engineer
    Wicca111
  17. Offline
    Sloan

Sloan Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Technical Dept. Head Sysadmin Lead Coder

Sloan[EEF]
    Actually, it turns out that you can.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 1, 2020, Original Post Date: Nov 1, 2020 ---
    Not particularly well, there are too many issues with the data. The small player-base is a much bigger issue IMO.

tobi-the-fraggel likes this.
  18. Offline
    CAS_ual_TY

CAS_ual_TY PR Guest Administrator Media Team AREA 94

Usually, competitive games have <= 5 players, however, and it is known that this can cause major inaccuracy, already. In League of Legends Korea there used to be a dominating solo player who always had to queue alone, because otherwise the people queueing with him would be called "cheaters" because they queue with the best player.
    In a 1v1 environment (eg. chess) it works (with minor exception like one GM being caught playing against significantly lower rated players in order to slowly, but securely increase his rating; he reached top 100 worldwide using that "technique").
    The more players you add the less accurate it gets. Rating entire, set squads is definitely a possibility. But even doing that, on a whole team basis you would have 7+ squads, so imo too inaccurate to get good ratings

19. Online
    Wicca

IT Support Engineer
    Wicca111
    Yeah, I don't think we ever will find a perfect system. Project Reality has an extreme amount of extra variables, compared to CSGO for example. Or in your example, LoL. In CSGO I have been carried to a much higher rank than what I should be in. And that's in a 5v5 environment.

The last tournament was really unbalanced, not only because of the lack of balance, which was, to be honest, minimal, but also the attitude some players had. This system will at least give us the ability to re-organize, re-shuffle the teams. To permit a more balanced tournament in the long run. And alleviate some players complaints, or negative attitudes, per cycle. Technically, our system will give us a good chance of improving the balance the longer the tournament runs.

The primary reason we want to arrange it in this way is to not spend hours and hours, and loads of effort, for 1 team to throw the entire campaign. The first match we are going to organize will be balanced based on our personal impression of the balance, and following that we can follow a hybrid or point system, to give us a more secure fact-based balance.

Still, there might be platoons that get scored without them doing much to win a battle, or vice-versa. Like when you do a group project, but you get grouped with some inefficient people. That's always a risk. That was always a risk before.

We risk this because we want to play Project Reality in a more organized fashion. Because it is fun.

If you really wanted to dig down into the numbers, there are multiple roles, weapons, vehicles, layers, and game-modes that we can rank players in Project Reality. To be able to accurately rank players, not squads, you would need 1000s of hours of data to find out which player is better. Then scoring them based on their squad composition. Then scoring them based on their team composition. With all the extra variables, such as maps, flag routes, etc.

Everyone has their own bias on their preferred team composition, who they like or dislike, what maps they prefer, assets.

Anyway... Here is a list of what I want:
    • Let people play with their friends
    • Give everyone a chance at winning battles
    • Balanced games
    • Have fun

I think the objective of winning the entire tournament should be a secondary objective. Participating and enjoying your time, and taking the game seriously is more important.

20. Offline
    Chuva_RD

Chuva_RD KIA

then select the best option. For now skueskill+platoons doesn't seem like the best option among children football pick method and just switching squads for the next game, too much effort for estimations that are not precise due to 50% reserves and a lot of games required to get estimations and not veto-robust

if it isn't perfect, why question of which alternative needs to be picked is substituted by if you should pick alternatives at all

minimally and really unbalanced, and not bc management but bc players, okay.

what stops you from reshuffling without the system. Get infantry squad kills, sort, see what shuffling is needed for it to be ordered in team1-team2-team1-team2 format