1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest ! Fancy contributing by becoming a moderator for PRTA? Fill out the application form!
  3. Hey Guest, PRTA is a service provided for free, this can become quite costly at times... :(
    It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!

The Films, TV Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by HoneyBadger, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Offline
    HoneyBadger HoneyBadger Don't call me Honey.

PR:BF2 Name:
    HoneyBadger
    So I enjoy me a good film once and while.

I also watch TV when it's not being shit.

Let's discuss these mediums, shall we? We can go over: our favorite films and TV shows; our least favorite films and TV shows; films and TV shows we'd like to see, etc.

Here's my IMDB so you can get an idea of my tastes:
    http://www.imdb.com/user/ur23751548/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_0

Because I'm too lazy to type it out myself.
  2. Offline

Spork
    Favorite film I have watched recently: Django Unchained. Great acting, cast and plot. I have always been a fan of Quentin Tarantino films, especially Pulp Fiction.
  3. Offline

HoneyBadger
    The only lowpoint in his career is Inglorious Bastards (which isn't even bad, just flawed). Anything he writes and films is always good.

I'd say Kill Bill Vol 1,2 is my favorite thing from him, followed by Reservoir Dogs.
  4. Offline
    tobi-the-fraggel tobi-the-fraggel 'Princess Negativity'

Sysadmin

Apprentice-Operations-Engineer(IT)
    tobi-the-fraggle
    Tarantino deserves his own topic :coffee:
    There is actually no tarantino film which i dislike. His gangster movie mock-up, parodies had set a style in the 90's. Everyone who considered himself as "cool" wanted to be like Mr. Black or Vince Vega. Hard to pick a favourite tarantino movie. It really depends on my mood which one i prefer. I guess pulp fiction is the movie i would put on number 1...but it's an obvious choice. I really like "Four Rooms" and "Reservoir Dogs".

On a side node, I really enjoy the actors he choose. I never miss a movie if one of these actors is in the cast:
    Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Sam Jackson, Steve Buscemi (oh...he is so goooood), Uma Thurmann.

Jim Jarmush is one of my favourite directors. Coffee & Cigarettes, Night on Earth or Dead man Walking are for a special taste. If you are tired of mainstream....you should definetly have a look into his work.
    Just an example from Coffee and Cigarettes (skip to 1:30):
    PHEELZ likes this.
  5. Offline
    Disnoxxio Disnoxxio A Thorn in their side.

Disnoxxio
    I think I'm among the few who is totally not delighted with Tarantino's movies, they are absurd an plainly unnesesarily rude 9/10 I watched Basterds/Django and never felt the urge to watch his other (most well known) classics beceause of these 2 movies.

One I saw recently and surprised me a lot is Nightcrawlers (2014) Really good movie from a very original point, a must see to break loose from all the usual hollywood cliche movies.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872718/

This movie makes you uncomfortable and that's a really good thing in this case.
    Midnight likes this.
  6. Offline
    ela ela

Member PRTA

ela
    I love Tarantinos movies! Especially Pulp fiction!
    Guy Ritchie is good director as well. For example these two are worth to watch (more than once) "lock stock and two smoking barrels" and "snatch".
  7. Offline

Spork
    Well the Tarantino movies are all about the dialogue and the acting which for the most part are exceptional.
  8. Offline

gamma_gandalph
    I still believe that Tarantino is way overrated. The movies are good, sure, but apart from being a feast for the coinoisseur of obscure references they aren't that special. Kill Bill vol. 2 is definitely the worst and Reservoir Dogs definitely the best, though.
    Midnight likes this.
  9. Offline
    Flix Flix SH posterboy

Flix
    My favorite director is Finland.

Yes, that's Hitler on a T-Rex.
  10. Offline

HoneyBadger
    Kill Bill vol. 2 isn't very good as a Standalone films, which is why I consider both volumes one film. Is that a bit cheap? Maybe, but I do enjoy the shit out of those films, regardless.

Your right about the references, but I feel he uses them more to reinforce his films rather than depend on them.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    ReapersPr0digy likes this.
  11. Offline

gamma_gandalph
    Well, that's mostly true. And probably why I like the Kill Bill movies (which are still enjoyable movies, mind you) the least. I feel they really depend on the references. I mean the obvious switch of styles between vol. 1 and 2 only "works", in my opinion, if you like that playing around with movie references. If you are just in it for the story of Kill Bill itself (which is exceedingly boring and overdone) it is more annoying and confusing and not at all helping to advance the story or experience of the movie. Unless you are in it for the references anyways, ofcourse, which is a good bet if you like Tarantino to begin with :wink:
  12. Offline
    tobi-the-fraggel tobi-the-fraggel 'Princess Negativity'

Sysadmin

Apprentice-Operations-Engineer(IT)
    tobi-the-fraggle
    Well, that's what tarantino movies are in general. Movie references embeded in a "cool" story. He is building monuments for a certain movie trend with every single one of his movies.
  13. Offline

HoneyBadger
    Here's something not related to Tarantino: Just finished watching Taeqikgi: The Brotherhood of War, a really good South Korean film about the Korean War. Extremely well shot with fantastic battle scenes (although the main character was too super-human and those CG F-86 Sabre's near the end looked pretty shit), still worth a watch if you like war films.
  14. Offline

Disnoxxio
    Was indeed a real good movies, asian cinema overall is quite good with war movies nowadays.
  15. Offline
    Midnight Midnight Will paint for food

Drawing stickmen
    Midnight
    I'm also one of those people who don't like Tarantino...

On another topic... I never watch TV, for some reason, lived without a TV for a long time, and even now the rare times I turn it on is either for news (unreliable news but still...) or as a background sound when I don't want to listen to music. But the paradox is, whenever someone turns the TV on to watch something, I'm like hypnotised by it, and surprise myself being completely drawn by it. I have a couple friends who don't own a TV either and who have the same experience.

On the other hand, I go to the cinema once a week (at least).

I was working while Fury was in the theaters here, I really wanted to see it, anyone saw it? is it any good?
  16. Offline
    Flix Flix SH posterboy

Flix
    It's OK, from a dumb-action movie perspective. Rough and dirty scenery, they're not trying to paint war in pretty colors. The story is pretty standard for WWII, I'd say.

Still, some nice Hollywood action with Brad. If the Pitt is your cup of tea, then I'd recommend it.
  17. Offline

Disnoxxio
    It's a fine raw action movie with some nice tank footage, especially the end is just 3 scenes of complete action.
  18. Offline
    Flix Flix SH posterboy

Flix
    The big questions regarding the last part of the movie, without actually spoiling anything, remains: how (the fuck) did it go from late afternoon to night in the matter of milliseconds (between two angles, in the middle of a fight)?
    tobi-the-fraggel likes this.
  19. Offline
    Midnight Midnight Will paint for food

Drawing stickmen
    Midnight
    The answer lies in the Director's cut version...
    Wicca, Flix and Disnoxxio like this.
  20. Offline

HoneyBadger
    Re-watched Generation Kill for the third time. God damn is that a good show.
    Danielj15 and Jello like this.