1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!
  4. PRTA Community Battle - PRTA versus FESA - 19:00 PRT, Saturday 28th APRIL Read more..

Squad: A commercial game made by developers of and inspired by PR:BF2

Discussion in 'News' started by Wicca, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline
    Wicca Wicca Project Founder

Head of PRTA PR:BF2 Resident Administrator NATO Potato

PR:BF2 Name:
    Wiccaaaaa
    Today I'd like to use this post to share a project that a number of us developers have been quietly working on the past few months. Although it had been revealed internally several months ago to the PR team, it wasn't until now that we have felt comfortable opening up our project to the public eye, starting with the PR community.

The goal of our project is to produce an Unreal Engine 4 based standalone commercial game, whose central focus is promoting teamwork and communication through gameplay mechanics and features.

This game is:

[​IMG]

First to emphasize the seriousness of the project, I would like to highlight the list of our developers, almost all of whom are either current or former PR:BF2 developers.

Myself - Project Manager, Programmer (PR:BF2 Coder)
    Mosquill - Programmer (PR:BF2 Coder)
    Chuc - Animator, Graphic Design (PR:BF2 Lead Animator)
    Irontaxi - Mapper (PR:BF2 Lead Level Designer);
    Ghostdance - 3D Artist (PR:BF2 3D Artist)
    Motherdear - 3D Artist (PR:BF2 3D Artist)
    Z-trooper - 3D Artist (PR:BF2 3D Artist)
    Tim270 - 3D Artist (PR:BF2 3D Artist)
    Spush - Texture Artist (PR:BF2 Texture Artist)
    Bull - Texture Artist (BSS Texture Artist)
    Anders - Sounds FX (PR:BF2 Sound FX and Effects Artist)
    Bruno - Effects (PR:BF2 Effects developer)
    Okita.Makito - Military Advisor (PR:BF2 Level Designer and Military Advisor)
    Litoralis - Lead Tester (PR:BF2 Tester and Tech Support)
    Afterdune - Media & Public Relations (PR:BF2 Lead)

The Game:
    Squad will be a tactical military game built from the ground up as a cooperative shooter, where high levels of teamwork and communication are supported, encouraged, and integral to gameplay. Complementary with that focus, we are seeking to bridge the gap between arcade shooters like the Call of Duty and Battlefield series, and military simulations like ARMA.

Where we are:
    Since April we have been quietly assembling the team you see above and taking the first steps towards our first public release. This will be a standalone fully functioning demo that will be free to play and fun to play, and will contain a snapshot of the all the high level features which will be the basis of the game.

To be more specific, feature wise we have already implemented the following:

-Networked Play
    -Support for Teams, Squads and Rallypoints
    -Basic Integrated VoIP
    -Advance and Secure
    -A Master Server
    -An online account system
    -7 Character models composing the US and Taliban factions
    -Basic weapon & equipment sets including ARs, MGs, Grenades, etc.
    -A HUD system for map, compass, nametags, etc.
    -Distance Sounds
    -Dynamic crop & foliage generation system
    -Physically Based Rendering texture pipeline
    -A library of Afghan statics and accessories
    -Fully functioning weapon code
    -A true first-person character system

Here is a look at the current map and the AAS game mode:

[​IMG]

The soldiers for the US Army and Taliban factions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Wide perspective view of the working landscape on our first map Logar Valley, which is set in Afghanistan:

[​IMG]

Here is your whole body, as seen with with True First Person:

[​IMG]

In addition to the above, we have many features and assets that are currently being worked on, and are soon to be included in our test builds.

We also need to address the elephant in the room.

Why are we not simply all working on PR2?
    The answer to that is far from simple, but if I had to sum it up I would say it all boils down to a major difference in direction.

The biggest concrete differences are:

Squad will be commercial: Our goal from the very start has been to have a commercial game studio with both full time and freelance developers who are able to make assets and be compensated for their effort. As a part of this we will encourage talented members of the community to step up and be a part of this process. By helping to support developers financially using the game's revenue, we believe we will be able to take the scope and quality of the game to a more serious level.

Squad will be released on Epic's Unreal Engine 4: We firmly believe UE4 is the best engine for the job and it's capabilities are growing rapidly. We began laying the groundwork for this project before UE4 was released, and in all honestly lucked out with how fantastic of a deal it turned out to be for indie game studios. With a ground breaking subscription model, low royalty fee, source code access, network oriented design, and a huge base of support we really feel there will be few limits on our ability to execute the vision we have for Squad.

Squad will use crowdfunding: One major component of our development strategy is the use of a Kickstarter campaign to generate a seed fund supporting the expansion of full time development. Doing so will allow us to ramp up development prior to open alpha, and support full time developers, purchase art assets, cover our server costs, and handle the business related aspects of our game studio's creation. The more successful such a campaign is, the longer we will be able to flesh out the game without the need for revenue, and thus the longer we can build the community by keeping the game free.

The above points are critical to making the game we are aiming for, and simply would not be possible without the formation of the team we have joined together to make.

Why the name change and lack of an official connection to Project Reality?
    While many of our developers have worked on PR past and present, using the PR name would present a number of complications. First and most importantly, it would cause licensing issues for PR2. PR2 is currently a strictly non-commercial endeavor, and to affiliate our game with PR officially would jeopardize their licensing status, which as it stands makes such a situation unworkable.

Additionally, while PR was originally started and evolved around the idea of making the BF2 experience more realistic, the central focus of Squad will be on establishing and encouraging the culture of teamwork that made PR the game it was.

Squad will embody that ideal through the framework we create.

So where do we go from here?
    As mentioned above we will be using crowdsourcing to seed the initial development over the course of the next year.

Our current plans are to release a playable stable demo around the beginning of December to coincide with the launch of our kickstarter campaign. This demo will highlight all of the core mechanics and features that we would like to build off of.

Providing we are successful, our next stage will be to bring our core team online full time and bring the level of content and features up to a point where we have a much more comprehensive beta game that we can introduce to our community, testers and supporters.

Additionally, we will need your help and are currently looking for more developers. While we can't currently promise any immediate compensation, with the structure of our cooperative studio, we will ensure that all developers (Full time, Part time and freelance) are compensated when the business gains the ability to do so.

If you wish to follow our progress, you may do so at our:
    Official Forums: Squad Forums
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/JoinSquad
    Youtube: Squad - YouTube
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/joinsquad (@JoinSquad)​

Also, here is the link to the gameplay video, we don't have the fancy youtube

We greatly appreciate your time and consideration. Share the news with your friends, and we'll meet you on the battlefield soon!

Respectfully,
    The Squad Development Team
  2. Offline

Student
    Shogun
    Looks very interesting indeed, but maybe you should put that ^ in quotes, at first I thought you were really speaking in first person. :tounge:
  3. Offline

Wiccaaaaa
    I think noone here thinks I am speaking in first person :tounge:
  4. Offline

PRTA

VAsBulk
    Wicca doesn't have a person .:smile:
    Wrecker and tobi-the-fraggel like this.
  5. Offline
    Major_Cookie Major_Cookie Design engineer of electronic equipment

Major_Cookie
    PR2 RIP. Let`s start drama:
    [​IMG]
    Wrecker, SlackJaw, Snapdragon and 5 others like this.
  6. Offline

Wiccaaaaa
  7. Offline
    bren bren Sample Text

Pro. Video, Progamming
    bren
    The post was golden.
  8. Offline
    Clund Clund No longer retired Nerd.

PR:BF2 Resident Administrator

Studying phsics; self-employed
    Discord:
    Clund#9475
    Squad Name:
    SH| Clund
    Clund
    [​IMG]
    Simba likes this.
  9. Offline
    Nick NissassaSDOG Nick NissassaSDOG Bringer of Death

Professional Ass Hole
    NissassaSDOG
    Once i get a steady flow of income i will buy squad and donate to help the Dev team out i can see squad becoming the next best game for 2015 based off the video
  10. Offline
    bren bren Sample Text

Pro. Video, Progamming
    bren
    The kickstarter will be opened in the future :biggrin:
  11. Offline
    Nick NissassaSDOG Nick NissassaSDOG Bringer of Death

Professional Ass Hole
    NissassaSDOG
    i know im talking once its up lol, but IMHO the game looks so worth it
  12. Offline
    Chefmoto Chefmoto Chief

Chefmoto
    Seems like there might be some animosity between the different dev teams of PR.
  13. Offline
    bren bren Sample Text

Pro. Video, Progamming
    bren
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't worry.
  14. Offline

Wiccaaaaa
    lets kidnap rhino
    SlackJaw, Borgert, Snapdragon and 2 others like this.
  15. Offline

gamma_gandalph
    I just hope this works out. I fear the reveal was too early, there's nothing yet for the hype to grab onto. If the Kickstarter is going up in a month or so, why not wait until then with the reveal? That way all that hype would be directed at something tangible. This will fade out of focus for many people in about a week.
    Ason likes this.
  16. Offline
    Temexter Temexter No comms™

Manager Comms Dept. Head Sysadmin Media Team

Humane Techie
    Squad Name:
    Temexter
    Temexter
    Negatory. We have already enough boneheads around :biggrin:
    Wicca likes this.
  17. Offline

i feel the same, and i really dont see the point of the game, They didnt really say anything, will the keep the movement and weapon handling that was showcased, because it doesnt look like anything interesting, and will there be vehicles, because if there arent, it just that much less exciting.

The entire thing just gives me a subpar feeling (sure its alpha), but the games design and direction doesnt seem like its been solidified, at least looking at what has been shown to us.

on the other hand PR2 being directed by the guy that was responsible for PR:ARMA2 doesnt give me hope, since PR:ARMA2 played like ghost recon PvP multilayer, but with the vehicles, they basically used none of the strengths of arma and all of its weaknesses.
    inspektura43 likes this.
  18. Offline

Wulf
    Well I never backed anything, but here I have a good feeling. I wait for the material you guys put together for kickstarter.

So hey wicca: DON'T FUCK THIS ONE UP! :wink:

Btw: Would be nice to know which educational background you people have, in terms of coding etc. Anyways: Good luck with it, PR but in a new engine is what I am waiting for since 2 years.
  19. Offline

banReflex
    I think it's great that they were actually making something before starting all the hype. Not like PR2 team who did nothing and don't want to tell us the truth about the project being dead. Or like the A3 team which promised an A3 PR gamemode as step 1 to be released when full A3 was launched and yet we still have nothing.

I really hope Squad dev team gives us a clear mission statement about everything they are planning on implementing. How's weapon sway going to work, head wobbling (pls no), weapon handling, different postures, sights, inventory, classes, kits, communications, land vehicles etc. They need this for a successful Kickstarter, they shouldn't just expect people to pledge based on "promoting teamwork and communication through gameplay mechanics and features," which IMO sounds as it's going to demote personal skill and promote hurr-durr "milsim" super slow boring gameplay.

I really hope they get it right.
    Chav likes this.
  20. Offline

blacktea65
    Let's hope they can rename the title to PR2 one day
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.