1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!

Information Leadership Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Wicca, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Wicca Wicca Project Founder

Head of PRTA PR:BF2 Lead Administrator PR:BF2 Resident Administrator NATO Potato

PR:BF2 Name:
    Wiccaaaaa
    Leadership Guide
    Introduction

There are numerous guides on how to squadlead, command, run a fireteam, clear rooms, shoot people, revive people or fly and drive shit. I feel there should be a guide dedicated to the in's and out's of Leadership.
    A huge part of Project Reality and it's success is made possible through the dedication of leaders in this game. This guide will highlight what leadership is successfull in PR, and why. I
    Aswell as examples on how to deal with new players, players who do not listen, communities, clans and making PR a better game. This guide will be written from my point of view, and I can obviously be wrong on a whole level of issues, however I feel my experience as a Commander, a leader of this community aswell as 7 years of PR should give me some sort of influence on the matter of, Leadership.
    Now listen, you are only going to read this once anyway, unless your a fucking nerd.

Leadership
    As any cocksucker from some high end school in the states would do, they would take the two words apart using some sort of fucked up dicktionary and dissect the word like a fag.
    Lead obviously being something in front, and ship being a vessel on the ocean. Now being a good leader does not always mean you are in front, nor being part of or in a vessel. Not to mention us being on the ocean, fuck that shit. You are not the front part of a ship.
    My clear opinion of leadership is your ability to rally other people to what you want them to do, in simpler terms, get others to do as you tell them.

Are you talking about manipulating people?
    Well, that is part of it. You think the great leaders of wars in the past were saints? They literaly sent people to die, using some idea of brotherhood, greater good, they are bad we are with god.
    Even today this shit happens.
    Sometimes the means are different, soviet kommisars, child soldiers forcing or forced to fight.
    Sadly we will not have the opportunity to abuse anyone we play with in real life, we can however do our best to use the tools we have in game, mainly our voice, and our gestures.

Mechanics
    Assuming you understand that anything is on the table, we will begin understanding what the mechanics are behind leadership.
    One person = 1 unit. This unit will affect your skill as a leader based on the number it has, and the skill you are at the following essentials.
    The more time you spend on one person, the more you will be able to successfully lead, since your intentions for that one person is more easily controlld and checked. So let us make a bold statment and say 1 Leadership = Time

Now, there is nothing more awkward than just standing there with a dude and doing nothing. We obviously have to do something.
    I require you to also find out what skills that person has, good and bad, aspiring thoughts and hated ideals, you need to understand this person. This will allow you to more easily use this person as a tool, since you understand it better.
    Having someone who hates CQB do CQB with you, is an example of a bad idea.
    So with that in mind, having a good idea of who you are dealing with gives you a better chance of being good at leadership. With that in mind we will be even bolder and say that 1 Leadership = Understanding.

Now moving on to control, being able to give someone a clear idea of what you want from them means you need to be good at speaking. And I am not talking about busting a rhyme or being able to talk really nice, I mean you need to be able to communicate what you want this person to do in a way that makes him want to do it. Being very clear is also important, but most of all, be consistent, do not back down. Being unable to make your will on others will make you inefficent at leadership.
    You also need to be specific, and tell the individual exactly what you want, and make sure he responds.
    We will state that 1 Leadership = Control.

To sum up to this point
    1 Leadership = Time
    1 Leadership = Understanding
    1 Leadership = Control
    = 3 Leadership

Another part of leadership is the size you are leading changing the effectiveness of your leadership. Now assuming you need time to understand and control a larger group of people, those factors will lack since you need to split up your time on more people.

Always understand that you have more understanding and control with the fewer number of people you are leading, obviously if you spend alot of time you can make that up, but in heated situations leading fewer people is easier than leading many.
    We will state that your skill level at leading is affected by your unit size.
    If your unit size is 1 then the size factor will be 0,2 for each new member reduce the Leadership skill level by 0.2 points.

If your unit size is 2, then the the size factor is 0.4
    If its 3 then its 0.4 making the total skill level 2.6

If you lead 16 players your skill leve is -0.2 at this point you will no longer be an efficient leader.

Delegating leadership will then be a major factor, and you need to make sure you find people who are good at spending time, understanding and control people. This is another part of leadership, finding other leaders.

WIP
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    D.Brannen and Mattytoosack like this.
  2. Joined:
    May 7, 2014
    ZachTheGunner
    Wut?
    Ban.13, Major_Cookie and Leo like this.
  3. Leo Leo

Leo
    Summary

Introduction

Leadership is important. I have 7 years of experience in leadership.

Leadership

What people learn in schools about leadership is wrong. Leadership is about forcing your opinion on others. A part of it is manipulating people with your voice and gestures in game.

Mechanics

Time
    - spend more time on a person => person follows your orders.
    Understanding - utilize your personnel according to their skills
    Control - give detailed orders, stay consistent in your rules, make sure people understand you.

???????????????????????1 Leadership = Time???????????????????????
    ???????????????????????1 Leadership = Understanding???????????????????????
    ???????????????????????1 Leadership = Control???????????????????????
    ???????????????????????= 3 Leadership???????????????????????

In a bigger unit your leadership capabilities are worse. Find more leaders and delegate.
  4. Flix Flix SH posterboy

Flix
    Is leadership...
    • Getting others to do what you want? Yes.
    • Forcing your opinion on others? I think you're mistaking leading for being a dick.
    Opinion is what you think and feel about something. That is, hopefully, not what you're after with this guide.
  5. Wicca Wicca Project Founder

Head of PRTA PR:BF2 Lead Administrator PR:BF2 Resident Administrator NATO Potato

Wiccaaaaa
    Well we can suger coat it and make fancy words that doesnt sound mean, but basically we want people to do what we want them to do. Thats the angle I am using. Not saying that people can come with great suggestions and ideas that I would use in a squad in PR.
  6. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    al-khidr
    If I was a tin pot dictator in some backwater country, I would surely refer to this document to guide me in running my kingdom.
    nayow, Wicca and Flix like this.
  7. Tyso3 Tyso3 75th RRC Commanding Officer

Student
    Tysoe.T[75th/RRC]
    I find when training a new squad leader, the most difficult part of it is communication skills.

Someone new to the role, trying to tell his squad a contact is in front, while they talk on local, squad chat, while he can hear other people on squad leader chat and possibly the commander talking too.

It really does take a good EAR not just a mouth to squad lead as you have to filter through all of the bullshit, relay that information to your squad and team, and at the same time do everything physically required of the squad leader.

The way i deal with it is through the following:

1. At start of round i will check which squad is what so i can remember (Cas is num4)
    2. If im talking direct squadlead-to-squadlead i will get more detailed, but on global squad lead i prefer short, sharp messages (Enemy tank on squad 8 at H4K3)
    3. I will usually halt my squad if i have heavy talking going on, otherwise it becomes the blind leading the blind.
    4. A phrase we use in 75th is 'Tac Comms' It essentially means that everyone in the squad has to shut the fudge up UNLESS it is mission critical, e.g (5 guys 10 feet away) which allows clear radio traffic.
    5. Lastly, for the most part i stay out of the fighting, i will usually lead the team to an area, set up a 360 security and then bounce around between the sectors while using comms.
    tobi-the-fraggel likes this.
  8. D.Brannen D.Brannen Ancora Imparo

Flight Instructor
    Brannen
    Leadership is about giving your squad a direction and building up a stable momentum that can keep going with casualties and even the loss of a squad leader. The SL's job is the course adjustment of your squads direction.

I used to say the squad is my sword, I will wield you and you will obey, together we will overcome the enemy. Now I say we all know what needs to be done, don't stop until you get there.

While a squad which acts under the SL's absolute mind is effective, without the SL the head is cut off the snake. A hive mind based on short briefings and communication is best.
  9. Tyso3 Tyso3 75th RRC Commanding Officer

Student
    Tysoe.T[75th/RRC]

Aye i agree, I usually transmit everything i get told via comms from commander and other squads to my team the second i get a chance, so that if i go down the squad knows what to do.
    D.Brannen likes this.
  10. Joined:
    Apr 6, 2015
    PlaynCool[BG]
    My tip to all squad leaders, talking and messing around is ok when on the carrier or on the way to the objective, but as soon as the squad is near the objective try to keep the squad's comm's to the essential minimum e.g: enemy positions, individual orders etc. It happens so often a squad can get carried away and discuss pointless and boring topics (and not hear the nearby enemies), and even the SL's get carried away and then complain "about how we got raped by the enemy, this team sucks", when in reality the squad should be focusing on the objective, even if that involves yelling "shut the f** up" to a squad mate or even kicking him from the squad. To sum it up make sure you as a SL talk most of the time and give orders (it is advisable these orders make sense and are on point) to your squad doing so.
  11. Joined:
    Apr 5, 2014
    No no.. we are free now (xD)
    Sgt|Hans
    Wicca wrote guide for SL, lel:biggrin:
  12. Joined:
    May 25, 2014
    Wulf
    How to lead a squad properly:
    If your medic needs 10 minutes to pick up a single guy: Fuck your skills, the squad is ded anyways.
    If you grenadier does not understand its kit but the enemy does: Fuck you skills, the squad is ded anyways.
    If you open a Mechinf and noone wants to drive/gun. Fuck your skills, the squad is ded anyways.
    If the Hat asks you about the scope. Fuck your skills, the squad is ded anyways.
    If cas just does not respond or constantly comes back at you with "STFU WE ARE DOGFIGHTING". Fuck your skills, the squad is ded anyways.
    Someone picks a sniper and you don't kick him. Fuck your skills, the squad is ded anyways.
    D.Brannen likes this.
  13. Joined:
    May 27, 2011
    Every time i have squad led, i've always ended up being the SL, the LAT, the AR, the medic.
    its gets boring.
    Wulf likes this.
  14. Joined:
    May 19, 2014
    Zerling
    Intense math
  15. Joined:
    Jun 24, 2014
    piratepengu
    Wicca someone already made a video describing all the things you just said. Get your things straight
    EminentEnd likes this.
  16. Joined:
    May 25, 2014
    Wulf
    I know that feeling bro....I know that feeling. And btw: For the god emperor!
  17. Lith Lith I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally

Cpt.Lith
    How to be a good sl- my version
    Yell at your squadmembers (ALOT)
    Insult your squadmembers (ALOT)
    Someone uses squadchat for irrelevant discussions- tell him to shut the fuck if he refuses !tb
    Took a marksman/sniper kit - kick him from the squad then abuse admin powers and tb him for "kit steal"
    Someone critisizes your leading - kick him from the squad and tb for "kit steal"
    Team losses- blame tanks/cas/apc other infantry squads. NEVER take any blame for yourself
    Flag left undefended - Never move back to defend it ever instead yell at other squadleads to pull back.
    Move far behind enemy lines with a full mechinf squad whenever someone tells you to fight for the flags accuse them of being stupid noobs and prove your supperiority to them and your usefullness by killing a guy soloing a trans truck
    Never place any markers on the map to mark enemy positions just yell on squadlead chat to everyone "ENEMY TRANS TRUCK Alpha 1 VERY IMPORTANT NEED CAS SUPPORT"
    Make sure you always got rifleman AP in your squad very usefull kit.
    Take the hat kit go to the hottest point of the battle and get completely destroyed by enemy infantry.
    If you spot a super fob with a tow immedeatly request armor support and assure them theres no anti-armor threats there.

If something does not workout yell at your squad for being incompetent noobs. Never give any advice to the new guy just tell him to git gud.

And remmeber the battle is never lost because of bad infantry its always those stupid asset whores sucking.

Works like a charm for me
  18. D.Brannen D.Brannen Ancora Imparo

Flight Instructor
    Brannen
    Try to "organise" a mix of at least a couple experienced players into your noob squad if that is the case. If you can't, and lets say everyone in your squad is playing his first game of PR, account for that, and don't try to ninja the cache or charge the flag. Put your guys in defense and position them, tell them to call out the enemy when they see them, and then to open fire, while defending the position with 7 rifleman kits and you as the medic. Don't expect them to be good players. If you give the medic kit to the noob you're asking for trouble. It goes to the most experienced guys in the squad.

Also, don't pull a Lith and abuse the shit out of the guy who missed with the LAT kit at 50m on a stationary apc. Empower him. Guide him through the shot, stand next to him while he aims and tell him to take his time. Tell him, "That apc is yours, those crewmen inside are already cooked, all you have to do is pull the trigger." If he asks how to use the sights, tell him. He will hit the APC and be the man for the next 5 mintues, and after the match, he will thank you for making his night. In his next meeting with an apc, he will say, "This spam can is mine. The noobs inside are already ash, all i have to do is line her up."

I've taken squads FULL of noobs and shot the shit out of the enemy. Don't go in and expect skills from sheep. Position them where they are capable to do damage to the enemy. Instruct them how you want it done, and the rest will take care of itself. Account for your individual squad members, not the squad itself. You are as strong as your weakest link.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 7, 2015, Original Post Date: May 7, 2015 ---
    Sometimes Lith, SOMETIMES, you actually say something funny.
  19. Lith Lith I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally

Cpt.Lith
    No. abso-fucking-lutely no.

Telling a person who is complete shit at the game that he "got this" "you can do it" Will not make him better at the game. The first step of stoping from being complete shit at something is to realize that you are a complete shit at it. And the way to do that is a good kick up the arse not a pat on the shoulder or a hug "everything will be fine you can do it"

Obviously you explain the person how to operate whatever kit or asset he is using it. "empowering" a noob often results in overrestimate of his own abilities which results in massive failure ive seen it happen countless times and that is the main reason i hate playing with pub-squadleaders i dont know. Its a huge circle jerk of dying failing sucking and an occasionall success because of pure luck alot with "ahh its fine you will get it next time" "dont worry you can do it" "its ok guys we can do it next time" and after the round is over and the team lost and the squad has a terrible kd all the "wow youre such a good squadmember/squadleader" even though it was a complete failure "hurr durr hes a nice and polite guy" I play not to be nice i play to be an effective squadleader and a good squadmember and ass-licking is completely unnecesary and even damaging in some cases.

When somebody does good you compliment that he did good you say gj keep it up
    When somebody fucks up you tell him to stop sucking so bad and tell him how to stop sucking.

Simple as that.
    Toszi, fecht_niko, L4gi and 1 other person like this.
  20. Joined:
    Dec 14, 2013
    blacktea65
    Stop sucking so bad
    Kimbles likes this.