1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!

Information {How To} Use a LAT/HAT

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Mattytoosack, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Mattytoosack Mattytoosack I love cock on my face

Events PR:BF2 Trial Administrator AREA 94

Call girl
    PR:BF2 Name:
    Mattytoosack
    Someone asked for a guide on how to use a LAT, so I figured i'd make it and include the HAT.

LAT

OK, so the first thing you need to know about using a LAT is, mostly all factions have there own and they differ. This will no doubt have an impact on how it is used. All LATS are "Fire and Forget". Which means, you DO NOT have to guide it to the target. This is good but also bad. Good, if your engaged and you have to shoot fast, but bad if you have to hit a target at range as the farther out it is the more you have to guesstimate. Unlike most ordinance in PR, all LAT's drop. So you have to compensate for that. Now lets not get all Allah ackbar and just shoot at shit because your bored. Take your time and be patient, if you don't get it, that's fine you, you cant kill it when your dead. Most of all DO NOT waste the ammo.

Steps
    1. Someone calls out armor up the road. Push 4 and sit tight.
    2.Get an ID on the target, figure out the best way to approach/ambush.
    3.Your in position, GO CROUCH, wait about 5 seconds and fire (Left click).

Important Info:
    • Must be stationary for at least 5 seconds to "stabilize" and go crouch.
    • DO NOT shoot prone, I don't even think you can.
    • LATS are only effective against: any APC/IFV, trucks, jeeps, helicopters. DO NOT shoot a LAT at a tank.
    • When aiming down your sights (right click) push Q to adjust your range. If your SL has time, ask him for a range to target. (Caps lock) Only SL can see this.
    • Aim for the ASS. The weakest part of any armored vehicle is the back. (Except the fucking logi's, who just take shots and drive off). I would suggest for jeeps and trucks aim at the engine block.
    What to shoot at and why:

YES
    APC/IFV
    Chance to track it or destroy it depending on area of impact.
    Logi's
    Disrupt enemy supplies.
    Jeeps/Humvee/cars
    Basically, anything with a gun destroy.
    Boats
    If a good hit, can one shot it.

NO
    Infantry
    You have a primary weapon, use that.
    Empty Troop Trucks
    Only cost 2 tickets, better save the shot.
    Tanks
    You can tickle it, but it takes about 6 shots to destroy.
    Jets
    Need I explain?

Thats it for the LAT. Just remember, 1 LAT per squad and it has I think a 5 minute respawn time. So be careful with this kit. 1 rifleman ammo bag refills 1 shot.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    HATS

So the difference between the HAT and LAT is, HAT = Bigger warhead and possibly guided. LAT = Smaller warhead and not guided. Also, the game starts off with 1 HAT kit for the WHOLE team. After about 10-20 minutes of time another one spawns making a total of 2.

Some HATS are FAF or guided. The list is below:

Guided
    Eryx (France/MEC)
    FGM-172 SRAW USMC alt HAT (USMC/GB)
    PF-98 (China)

Not Guided
    SMAW(USMC)
    PZF 3 (Germany)
    RPG 26 (Russia/Insurgents)

Guided means well, you have to guide it to the target. So what you do is aim, wait for the two bars be still. Then when you fire hold it, until it hits! If the target is moving, chase it with those bars and make sure its constantly on the target.

The not guided type, is the same as a LAT. Take your time and conserve ammo.

What to shoot and why:

YES
    TANKS
    Can destroy it.
    APC
    Can destroy it.
    Logi's
    Disrupt enemy supplies.
    CAS helicopters
    It is possible, they have to be hovering though.

NO
    Infantry
    Again, you have a primary use that.
    Troop Trucks
    Waste of ammo.
    Jeeps/Humvee's/Cars
    Let the LAT deal with them.
    CAS Jets
    Obviously you know why.

Updated 12/2/14
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Blaze., -=SPEC=-, EminentEnd and 5 others like this.
  2. Ace Ace

AceInvader
    Real pro ship-fire wire guided hat kits
  3. Joined:
    Apr 6, 2014
    LAT and HAT can also be used to breach enemy defenses. The tunnel on kozelsk is a good example here or Cave Caches on Lashkar. Smoke the area in between you and the camping enemies, when smoke is there move up, aim somewhat accurately to where the enemy is and shoot.

You can also defend caches like that, shoot LATs and HATs at cave entrances/doorways when enemies show up. Spam rockets if they smoke, they cant get through this.

If you have enough ammo shoot at everything you see aswell.

Also all Russian RPG variants (both HAT/LAT) can be shot while being prone.

Chinese HAT not guided tho, it works like the guided ones but once youve shot you cannot change the direction anymore. Its also pretty inaccurate tbh. Same for Matador IDF HAT kit.

When youre playing as US forces always use right mouse HAT (Alt). Left mouse has more rockets but its got terrible rocket drop and is pretty difficult to shoot. Alternative is SRAW wire guided. Just aim and click.

Some HATs have maximum range btw someone could post specific info here. Once the maximum distance has passed they will just go straight into the sky. Some others also have minimum range, they wont explode if youre too close.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  4. Ace Ace

AceInvader
    There is no max range on HAT kits. You just need to hold the trigger down and not let go. If you don't, it will fly up after about 400m.
  5. Joined:
    Apr 6, 2014
    Nope, there IS max range on some of them. They will just go straight into sky after some distance.
    No matter you hold the trigger btw.

Theres even max distance on RPGs, pre 1.0 you could shoot straight into the sky and grenade came back after like 10 seconds hitting the ground 20m in front of you. You cant do that anymore, this got "fixed" by DEVs. After some range rocket propelled grenade will disappear.

I dont know exactly how this is working tho.

Someone enlight us pls.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  6. Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    ^ERYX has max range of about 600m, after that it will get really unaccurate.

Also lat/hat kits works really good against infantry. About the tanks and lat kits, i tested every opfor vehicle against every bluefor lat to every angle for the prt wiki. It takes avarage of 3-4 lats to back to kill tank.

Anyway there is no really good way to say what shoot/ not shoot. Just use your imagination and you can get really far. If i would have enough ammo to hat, i would shoot every truck/jeep/whatever with it. Yesterday got 24/1 on asad khal, mainly using hat/lat against infantry :biggrin: If not enough ammo then prioritising the targets works.

With most of the guided hats you dont need to wait the white things go togethere before shooting. Its really good tactic in the open terraing enviroment.
  7. Joined:
    Feb 25, 2014
    KillJoy
    Oh, everything that make a Boom is pretty effective against INF.
  8. Joined:
    Apr 6, 2014
    Finrar find out about exact ranges for HATs pls and post link. I hope you can do that

Ask Onil may be or someone else from od-s you know what i mean.

I can remember being on Kashan shooting tanks very far away with guided HAT but couldnt shoot it. Tried like 5-6 times everytime just out of range holding trigger down constantly. Not sure wether US or MEC hat or Canadian ERYX
  9. Geekius Geekius The one and only.

PRTA

Mechanical Engineering Student
    Geekius
    This is good, however i think the statement about how many lats a tank takes is wrong. Ive been sitting in a tank after 7 rpg-7 direct hits and all fine. Perhaps you meant 6 lats to the rear.
  10. Mattytoosack Mattytoosack I love cock on my face

Call girl
    Mattytoosack
    it was merely a estimation, I have never had enough ammo/a stupid enough tank to do this.
  11. Nate. Nate. No Unit No Hope

Nate.
    C4 + LAT = Dead Tank

RPG + Cache Defense Tunnel = Free Kills

PzF3 + me = not hitting shit
    RaceFace, Clund and ReapersPr0digy like this.
  12. Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Moszeusz6Pl
    I was once testing Challenger 2 versus MEC LAT. I manage to take it down after about 15 LATs to front armor. When shooting rear armor it got down after about 6. As for what to engage, you should destroy everything you can if you have enough ammo, if ammo is limited, then just prioritized target taking into what targets can be taken down by CAS or other squads with AT capabilities.
  13. Geekius Geekius The one and only.

PRTA

Mechanical Engineering Student
    Geekius
    Stupid? You fail to realize just how funny the challenger on Al Basrah used to be.. xD
  14. Joined:
    Aug 4, 2014
    Atoli_Kusaka
    - LAT kit
    Don't take LAT kit in the APC squad. The APC driver will need it when he engage with enemy APCs.
    Normally LAV cannot kill BTR-80a, however if the driver jumped out and grab a lat kit, LAV may kill BTR-80a (popping some smoke would be great too).

- HAT kit
    Don't bring your precious favorite HAT kit into the middle of nowhere. Team need that hat kit.
    If you grab that kit, you need to kill enemy armor.
    ShinyMac10 and Nate. like this.
  15. Alex sweedensniiperr Alex sweedensniiperr 9001 non-mumblers kicked

Student
    Squad Name:
    alexo
    alex.sweedensniiperr
    What about HAT/LAT against trans helicopters? Have you have a pretty clear view as what NO and YES to shoot at, but nothing clear on regular helicopters. If it's situational(my opinion) just write that. A guide imo should contain every bit of information.
  16. Joined:
    Aug 4, 2014
    Atoli_Kusaka
    If you have enough ammo and there are no enemy APC/IFVs aroud you now ------ YES
  17. Mattytoosack Mattytoosack I love cock on my face

Call girl
    Mattytoosack
    Trans helicopters..... I would say yea... but ask your SL first, because if you miss then the squad has no immediate AT and that could mean the difference from getting squad wrecked by an APC. You usually only have one shot, so don't waste it just so you can shoot at a chopper.
  18. Joined:
    Oct 26, 2014
    Sandepp
    Nice guide. It was I who asked for the lat/hat guide.
    Shogun and Mattytoosack like this.
  19. PRTA

qs-racer
    If you are above a static ennmy tank and with supply arround, you can shoot it. Some time they don't realize they get hit, and when they realize, it is too late, tank will be track on the way back to the repair.

If you are in front of, it is useless = armor is to restistant, and they will spot you before you have time to stabilize.
  20. Foxtrot

Squad Name:
    Serathis
    Serathis
    You may want to go into detail what the difference is between the HEAT and DP warhead the SMAW has. I think HEAT deals more damage (better against tanks) while Dual Purpose has more splash (better at dislodging infantry while still being able to take care of APC/IFV).
    Also maybe list all the different RPG warheads that are in the game and which kits have them.