1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!

EVE Online

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jammer, May 28, 2015.

1. Tester Foxtrot

PR:BF2 Name:
    Jammer
    Eve Online is a player-driven, Persistant-world massively multiplayer online role-playing game. (MMORPG) set in a science fiction space setting, developed and published by CCP Games. - Says Wikipedia

If any of you here play EVE or are thinking about playing EVE you can discuss it here.

Link to 21day free trial.
    https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=dfc36b8b-80bc-46dc-a5ed-3e47eeac3f47&action=buddy

Also if you have any videos of yourself you can also post them here too.

Here are a couple of mine.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    OpusTheFowl likes this.
  2. Temexter Temexter No comms™

Manager Comms Dept. Head Sysadmin Media Team

Humane Techie
    Squad Name:
    Temexter
    Temexter
    Stickied as this must be a game :oldman:

I tried it back in the years...
    Jammer likes this.
  3. Tester Foxtrot

Jammer
    What I've been up to the last couple days.

4. Vista Vista Beautiful Alien

Vista
    How grindy is this game?

I really wanted to try this game out but never actually did it :biggrin:
  5. Manager Community Dept. Head PR:BF2 Resident Administrator PRTA Donor

Do you hack on it with Blondey?
  6. Tester Foxtrot

Jammer
    This game takes a while to get into it, it takes about a month to get your skills in a position where you feel like you are actually effective, but that's not to say you cant have fun in your first month or two.

What I did was join a corp who take in new players called Brave Newbies. They give you a skill plan as well as give you free newbie ships so you can learn the game. It helps make the first couple months "fun" then after that I joined a smaller corp who take in higher SP pilots who are more effective and make the game more interesting for me anyway.

About grinding, it can be for a bit before you get a decent about of ISK, but now that I have I find it quite easy to continue getting ISK. Also having two accounts makes it 100% easier. I can have my main with my corp all the time for PVP and just go on my alt account when I have free time and make money via Incursions.

Nope, but last I heard he was playing DayzRP so maybe you can go find him over there if you are interested.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 13, 2015 ---
    If anyone is interested here is a link for a 21 day free trial. https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=dfc36b8b-80bc-46dc-a5ed-3e47eeac3f47&action=buddy
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Chav likes this.
  7. Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    OpusTheFowl
    Played heavily for about 4 months as a solo miner/hauler and really enjoyed it. I'm more in it for the business/economy side of it but sadly IMO, as good as EVE is in that regard (probably the best), it still is way too contrived to continue.

I would say that they really need to fix (wrong word?) many thing in the economy before I would put more time/money into it.
    Jammer likes this.
  8. Tester Foxtrot

Jammer
    The economy is completely driven by the players, so what your saying is you want it to be more like WOW with NPCs selling and buying stuff?

And your real problem is that you did what most new people do which gets them board and then they leave. Join a large group make friends and then this game can last years otherwise you will just sit in front of your screen watching a laser hit a rock for months, which is no fun at all.

If you do like industry that much, join an indy corp, use a POS to increase your profits, start to buy and use blueprints to build stuff and sell on the market, then get into invention of T2 items and build them. You could start to build ships such as fighters or carriers. You could go into null sec with your indy corp and have a chat with a large sov holding alliance and get them to give you space in which you can build supers for them. If you like hauling you can join RED FROG the most trusted hauling group in eve and haul shit all across high sec, and if you get a jump freighter you could join black frog and take items to low sec or null sec and make some serious isk. There is so much to do, your problem is that you seemed to of just mined and hauled, two of the most boring things to do in eve, especially by yourself.

You wont last long without friends.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  9. Tester Foxtrot

Jammer
    A nice fight we had against TRI.
  10. Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    OpusTheFowl
    The fact that the raw material (ore) is super plentiful and "respawns" quickly means CCP is using an economy of oversupply which if you think about, really takes the point of an economy out of the equation. The whole .01 babysitting is a good example of just what is wrong...the is no competition as the base resources are so, so plentiful.

I was getting to the point where T2's were the next option but I stated earlier, as there is just so much of everything, the interest wasn't there. Just an example, at the time of writing this there are over 3500 Ospreys for sale...Yes the economy is player driving but it's contrived and massively skewed towards volume.

I also know all about the Frogs and options in all secs...I read a lot. BTW, I never said the word "bored" and that's not the reason I said I stop playing. I also mentioned solo as I had no desire to join a corp.

Don't get me wrong. EVE is the best game I've seen for an economy but that doesn't mean it works well...
    Wicca and Jammer like this.
  11. Tester Foxtrot

Jammer
    No because it doesn't matter if it respawns if no one is mining it. What your really complaining about is lots of people doing what you are doing, which is oversupplying the market. Hint do something different in a less crowded market and make a larger profit.
  12. Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    OpusTheFowl
    But if the economy is modeled so well then why is the answer "do something different"? It takes next to zero effort to get the base materials so the supply side is really quite skewed which is shown in the oversupply and lack of competition (other than centing)...
    Jammer likes this.
  13. Tester Foxtrot

Jammer
    The economy isn't modeled by CCP it is driven solely by players, so if people stop mining the base of minerals on the market will decrease and the price will go up, if more people mine the price will go down, the same happens in the real world, if people stop mining iron, the price of iron will go up, and visa versa.

You can continue mining if you so wish, it just happened that atm and for quite along time lots of people mine in EVE reducing your margins and making it not very profitable, that could change tomorrow and every one could give up mining, but that is very unlikely to happen, so your either going to have to deal with the low margins and shit income or change your profession, like coal miners in the UK did when it no longer was profitable to mine coal.

All your doing is complaining about something in the game which in effect is also true about the real world.

Either deal with it or change.
  14. Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    OpusTheFowl
    Well I would put-forth that CCP sets the perimeters in their universe. They set the respawn times, number of harvest locations, the composure of the belts and the initial quantity per rock. Because of this, they do actually control things...I know they are hands-off but at the end of the day, it's their code that set the initial parameters (for good or bad).

I agree that "if people stop mining iron, the price of iron will go up" but my point is not only will that never happen (ie,unrealistic, alts) but even if it did, it would literally take no time to get more just because the resources are so plentiful.

"low margins and shit income" is not an issue with me, never said that. That's the effect of over-supply which is what I do have issues with.

The UK coal example is faulty because coal use had been in a steady decline for decades with its use peaking in 1956. It's not just a matter of cheap coal being imported but also the rapid decline in use. Today it's 25% of what it used to be.

There is no infinity available resource in the real world so comparing that with in-game is moot.

The other big grip I had with the economy is that there are no NPC "crew", no maintenance needed and no decay. All factor act as economic friction and force the economy to react to what exists, not what is being made.

For example, if you build a destroyer, you don't need to crew it so when the ship is destroyed, you just get another one. What if there was a finite number of NPC crew available each day that didn't act as a commodity. Another example would be ships and cargo being stockpiled/stored with zero waste/loss due to a multitude of factors. I could literally fly a battleship for a year or store it and it would "cost" the same as somebody doing the same with a frigate. That makes no sense.

I think my point is best illustrated by looking at X3. I know it's a totally different game (solo, offline, AI/NPC) but their economy is overall not bad. Lets say there is a argnu farm in a sector and you build one right next to it and totally beat it to the punch every time, corning the market. That farm, as it costs nothing to operate (salaries, maintenance, fees, etc) it will just keep sitting there until the end of time . Whereas external forces would normally kill a business that finds itself in that same situation. EVE is a lot like that...next to no external sources of economic friction.

The other points I'd make about EVE the is ease to make ISP and PLEX-up and the sheer number of alts. I think those are two red-flags that not all is right with the economy.

Any how, again, I'm not at all saying EVE is shit...it's brilliant and even just talking about it makes be want to re-sub. I miss my massive Excel sheets...The fact we can have rather complex discussions about economic issues about a game is also amazing. I'm just pointing out some major flaws in their economic system that IMO forces you to really close your eyes to certain aspects of the economy.
    Kimbles likes this.
  15. Wicca Wicca Project Founder

Head of PRTA PR:BF2 Lead Administrator PR:BF2 Resident Administrator NATO Potato

Wiccaaaaa
    *COUGH* Excel game *COUGH*
    Setzer likes this.
  16. Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    OpusTheFowl
    That's what I love about it!!!

Excel in space! :wink:
  17. Tester Foxtrot

Jammer
    Too many spreadsheets.....
    [​IMG]
    OpusTheFowl likes this.
  18. Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    OpusTheFowl
    Nice!

God damnit...if PRTA doesn't pan-out I'm going to re-sub for a month or two...

:wtf:
    Jammer likes this.
  19. Tester Foxtrot

Jammer
    I am having way too much fun looking through all my old spreadsheets.
    [​IMG]
    It did auto update but it doesn't work anymore :frown:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. Vista Vista Beautiful Alien

Vista
    This is the definition of autism

:biggrin:
    bandwevil likes this.