1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest ! Fancy contributing by becoming a moderator for PRTA? Fill out the application form!
  3. Hey Guest, PRTA is a service provided for free, this can become quite costly at times... :(
    It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!

Information Discord Trial Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Chav, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Offline

Manager PR:BF2 Head PR:BF2 Temp. Lead Administrator Lead Moderator Senior Tester Member PRTA

Squad Name:
    Chav
    PR:BF2 Name:
    Chav
    Members,

We've now officially launched our Discord server (https://discord.gg/RWdcDBV) and are trialling its use for the next few weeks or so.

This thread is for feedback relating to the trial. Please leave your positive comments, negative comments, constructive feedback and more here in this thread.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this so that we can make the right decision for the community.

Chav
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2017
    Danielj15, Doc and Nightwalker like this.
  2. Offline
    Temur Temur Lean Mean Admin Machine

Community Dept. PR:BF2 Senior Administrator Resident Moderator Member PRTA Donor

Teacher
    Squad Name:
    Temur
    Temur
    I like it, think with some getting used to and reworking it'll be an apt replacement for TS & Slack.

It's frustrating that it doesn't have collapsible menus / tiered channels like TS does, but that might come in the future and we can still just make more voice channels anyway.
    Danielj15 and Jamil_12345678901 like this.
  3. Offline
    WeedT0aster WeedT0aster " Honour Ancient"

PR:BF2 Trial Administrator Member PRTA

cafeteria laborer
    WeedT0aster1
    one thing for sure, when it comes to the quality and the difficulty of use is better in discord than anything else, but the only thing is the permissions, just like in teamspeak, it's nowhere close to teamspeak when it comes to permissions and such things, ofc in discord you have roles but it is not sufficient as the one that you have in teamspeak, therefore, for communication I would prefere discord, but it's always better to stick to the original which is teamspeak, 8/10 for discord, 9/10 for teamspeak.
    Danielj15 likes this.
  4. Offline
    Woxbel Woxbel Worst Medic

Member PRSD

Woxbel
    did you also stick with a horse and carriage ? I know it is part of human behavior to resist change but to actually say it’s always better to stick with the original is really taking it to another level. But all joking aside:

I do agree however that discord compared to ts might indeed have less options when it comes to permissions. But that is just my impression based on what I know off both products so the gap might be less then I imagine.

In either case the large amount of options in ts in general and especially in the case off permissions always seemed well developed systems and functions that where seldom if ever necessary. The IT guy in me does appreciate its design and how it could be used in all these “what if scenarios” but in reality those don’t really happen all that often especially in a relatively small community.

So while my guess is that discords roles do indeed offer less options at this moment in time(do realize discord is still in development). I do sincerely question if anyone with an open mind will be bothered by it unless you have to configure the server I guess.

I am not sure on the quality off the sound and if there is any difference but if you statement is correct and it is better and the difficulty off using it is lower. I have to say that I will take that every time over a slightly more developed permission system.

Maybe I am missing a particular point of view so I do invite you by all means to describe a scenario in which the discord permission system wouldn’t be suitable or suitable enough for the current needs off the PRTA community.

That would also be the best kind off feedback since people can then try to find out how to fix this or work around it or decide to not transfer to discord after all. If such a scenario doesn’t exist then the only argument in favor of ts that you produced would be nostalgia.

The main point against discord for me personally would be the collapsible menus and stacking menus which Temur mentioned above but that’s not unworkable just a small annoyance which I am willing to pay.

Especially since it is one application that takes the place off two others, I personally already use discord for a few other things which is not the case for ts, it will save the PRTA community money to do other things or stay afloat.

The money argument is a really strong one in my opinion and unless I find a really big drawback to using discord. My vote will be Discord.
    Timelord148, FakeFrost and Danielj15 like this.
  5. Offline

cafeteria laborer
    WeedT0aster1
    that is not the point, you might be right and I might have not understood the rules specificly but let's say giving permissions to a specific manager to do something, let's say chav is in the lead position, he is probably one of the most contributed members and the most online ones but he might not be always there for us, who would take his position, exception if he can give other people the same role and the same power as his, both ways I vote for discord too, now in the communication term, discord is doing an amazing job, like seriously you can litteraly group the whole community in the same channel, well you have the spam problem which is a major one but it's okay hence everyone is communicating more, let's say if I wanted to speak to you, I can just mention you in the botspam or whatever channel and you can respond whenever you are still in your voice room speaking with other people, that is a great advantage, but you are right, such bad scenarios barely happen but barely doesn't mean it doesn't, althought discord is a go for me!
    Danielj15 likes this.
  6. Offline
    Arnoldio Arnoldio Noot noot!

Events PR:BF2 Junior Administrator PRTA Donor

Arnoldio
    I like it, its modern, which mean it is crap and chaotic, but thats what modern is, and modern is cool and attracts people.

Issues on the voice side do bother me. I was talking to Doc yesterday, and it was very, very bad, however he is US.
    Danielj15 and Nightwalker like this.
  7. Offline

Media Team Member Foxtrot

Audiovisual designer
    Nightwalker
    Discord is fine, have to get used to and figure out its interface and usage. The only thing I could think of where I definitely need TS for now is Arma3 with TaskForce Radio.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Danielj15 likes this.
  8. Offline
    Doc Doc

Resident Moderator PR:BF2 Resident Administrator Tester Member PRTA

Squad Name:
    Doct
    Doct
    You can use that on discord also a friend of mine tried configuring his and got it to work.
    Danielj15 and Nightwalker like this.
  9. Offline

Donor

Tonymount
    I can't seem to get Discord to work. I am unable to either send or receive. In my opinion, closing TS was a mistake at this time. Better perhaps to leave TS in place until all of the problems are solved. If we still had TS we could at least chat to each other, to try and solve any issues.
    Danielj15 likes this.
  10. Offline
    Doc Doc

Squad Name:
    Doct
    Doct
    Heya!, Hey buddy to inform about discord, Discord is Slack and TS aio it’s an awesome app, and to an extent safer than ts I understand how you are feeling about discord I had an issue too and some the members of the community as I got to use discord I forgot less and less about TS...
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 20, 2017 ---
    And just to let you know the send and receive function is a security feature implemented into discord you can easily disable by going into settings...
    Tonymount and Danielj15 like this.
  11. Offline
    Danielj15 Danielj15 Daniel

Resident Moderator PR:BF2 Resident Administrator Tester Member Donor PRSD

Year 9
    Squad Name:
    Danielj15
    Danielj15
    Bots are awesome that's all I have to say :smile:
  12. Offline
    Doc Doc

Squad Name:
    Doct
    Doct
    Here is some more info about discord security...

https://blog.discordapp.com/discord-safety-boost-2d592ea3b14a
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 20, 2017 ---
    And also has what you’re having an issue with messaging but if I were you, I would leave it on my “friends” or “scan everything .”and rest assured Tony discord is still in development phase and is having update on security and improvements to make it better and more user friendly.

PS if you need help on anything just shoot a PM on either Discord or even on the Forums.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Tonymount and Danielj15 like this.
  13. Offline
    Hayal_Israeli Hayal_Israeli My !b avada kedavra spell will be yours!

Resident Moderator Tester Israeli Lions Officer Donor

המפקד בשריון יבן זונה
    Hayal_Israeli
    In discord you cant sit on two channels at the same time, how is gonna an admin who belongs to a clan be able to admining and play with them? We still need teamspeak as an addition to this undevoloped sofrware
    Tonymount likes this.
  14. Offline
    Doc Doc

Squad Name:
    Doct
    Doct
    That might be a feature in the future, for now use the browser if you want...
  15. Offline

PR:BF2 Resident Administrator Member PRTA

terrry
    yeah I don't like the voice system but other than that got no issues.
  16. Offline

cafeteria laborer
    WeedT0aster1
    okay guys, so a lot of conversations and little "fights" are going around when it comes to Discord or TeamSpeak, let's have this discussion here, anyways, I am going to start but before that, I am acknowledging that I love both, and would go with whatever is decided but even though that Discord is ALMOST free, I still prefer the "old but gold" TeamSpeak, from my prespective it's just better, anways, whoever support Discord, what benefits do you see in discord over teamspeak, and who support TeamSpeak the same thing, Discord base server is only free.. other than that it's pay to have, teamspeak is not cheap, but it's features come in handy more, sub channel, connection quality, discord have roles but teamspeak have roles/markers/permissions speceifed to the role/logos etc.. and not to mention in Discord You lose any right you had on your data. Discord can sell your data to anyone. And the best thing: You cant do shit about it. ( Cloud servers everyone... cloud servers :biggrin: )

now anyone, with 0 knowledge can start a Discord server, without any effort, but that costs a lot, costs a lot mean you have almost no control on what goes on your server, the latency is out of this conversation when it comes to Discord, Discord = shitty internet connection/ high latency.

you can download and host your own TeamSpeak 3 server on your own platform/hardware, Discord is nowhere near that, again the security and the permission is so so better in teamspeak than in discord, the handling and the customization options in TeamSpeak is way better, the addons and the plugins and the community workshop ( similar to steam ), Discord is modern, easier to use, one invite join linking, and a lot of good things in discord, even tho TeamSpeak is still better, there is more stuff that I can mention, well do when I get back to home soon, I am in a hurry now.

discuss this in a safe way guys, 1. Member
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Tonymount and Nightwalker like this.
  17. Offline
    Heskey Heskey Den Mother

Member Foxtrot

Emergency Services
    Squad Name:
    F|PRTA Heskey
    Heskey
    Discord is the way forward.

TeamSpeak 3 is pretty dated now, and the biggest argument against it in light of an alternative is the cost.

Discord is modern, with a fresh, clean interface that incorporates voice and chat in 1 application, meaning we can get rid of Slack. I believe Discord allows for some pretty sophisticated bots and permission sets to deal with security/unit issues, and I've never experienced problems with the latency or audio quality.

Surf the wave of change or drown underneath it, my dudes.
  18. Offline

cafeteria laborer
    WeedT0aster1
    I am going to improve your point here: not to forget that discord is STILL in development!
    Tonymount likes this.
  19. Offline
    Heskey Heskey Den Mother

Member Foxtrot

Emergency Services
    Squad Name:
    F|PRTA Heskey
    Heskey
    Everything's always in development, what's your point?
  20. Offline

cafeteria laborer
    WeedT0aster1
    not really, there is big difference between finished but need improvement, and not finished and still in development!
    Tonymount likes this.