1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Official PR Retro map-pack available here.

Designing a One-life event

Discussion in 'Events, Battles, & Training' started by Azivegu, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Offline
    Azivegu Azivegu If panda's don't die, something else will

Member Foxtrot

Poor Student
    PR:BF2 Name:
    Azivegu
    Hey guys, not really sure where to put this, so I'm just placing this here and will see how that goes.

So I have ADD. One of the things about having ADD is not being able to concentrate. But at the same time you also have a hyper focus mode where you are so fixated on one thing that basic things like sleep and food go out the window. I'm having one of those moments right now :smile:

I was wondering if I can help design a One-Life event, or something similar to it (still debating whether perma death is suiting to this).

It would take place on Lashkar Valley (Taliban vs Germany) and be reminiscent to a movie about a camp holding off a Taliban assault that is based off of something that actually happened (apologies, can't remember the name, to focused on other things.)

Germany would have a base in I6k5, henceforth known as Camp Solitude. The Taliban would attack the base and it is there goal to destroy it and kill all the troops there. The Germans have to hold onto it for 30 minutes until can be evacuated to safety.

Win goals for the Germans:
    - Successfully defend the base for 30 minutes
    - Safely evacuate all troops or successfully defeat the enemy attack

German Loss:
    - FOB and HMG's destroyed before evacuating
    - Loss of more than 50% of forces
    - Loss of evac vehicle

Rules:
    - Germans may receive NO outside help with exception of a mortar base
    - Germans allotted 1 extra FOB to set up mortar base with minimum 600 meter straight line distance to the command post
    - German mortar base must be connected within reason to a road
    - Germans may only request support after five minutes of first assault from the mortar base
    - German mortar base may only start firing when at least one supply drop has been made to the mortar base (they start with no crates)
    - First supply drop only allowed after support from mortar base has been requested (only then may the vehicle leave the base)
    - Germans may only receive an evac after 30 minutes after first assault (that is when the vehicle may leave the base to pick them up)
    - Germans start with at least 10 crates with no resupply allowed.
    - Germans are ONLY allowed to spawn at the base. FOB's may not be used for spawning in
    - Taliban allotted 6 hideouts, none of which within 300 meters of I6k5
    - Taliban are NOT allowed to place IED's south or west of the IED exclusion zone
    - Taliban must have at least 1 hideout within the marked activity zone

Let me know what you think of this. I have held out at that location before and it can turn into a hell of a fight, but I think it is doable.
    I'll also attach a image of what the map looks like for this scenario. It'll have to be a low res file as the original is nearly 1GB...

Attached Files:

cassius23, Blaze., Wicca and 3 others like this.
  2. Offline

Community Dept. Squad Lead Admin - EU Moderator Senior Tester Foxtrot OU Tournament - Member Donor

Chav
    Squad Name:
    Chav
    The idea of onelife is Arnoldio 's gig. The form of onelife (in PR) is (pretty much) PRTA's property; though it has existed in other forms, on other games. PRTA can provide a platform for people or person's to create similar events on our servers.
    What you are describing here is something a bit more than onelife, it seems to be more of a roleplay event. With onelife; we aren't making any "map changes", this means that people are able to join without having to download something, this means more people are going to play.

If you would like to help PRTA in a larger way (and organise your own super cool, hip events for everyone to enjoy) then I urge you to apply to become an Events Organiser for PRTA.

http://prteamwork.com/threads/events-organiser.24601/
    Nightwalker and Danielj15 like this.
  3. Offline
    Arnoldio Arnoldio Noot noot!

Events PR:BF2 Recruitment Scout PRTA OU Tournament - Organiser OU Tournament - Leader

Arnoldio
    This is completely doable, but requires a lot of gamemastering to really keep people holding for 30 minutes and not fuck around.
    Danielj15, Blaze. and Chav like this.
  4. Offline

Member Foxtrot

Poor Student
    Azivegu
    I don't really feel up to the task of being an organizer due to my schedule and time constraints, but for this event I would be willing to work on it of course.

I also agree that One Life isn't really fitting for this. I was just struggling to categorize it.

Some things to point out:
    - I'm not 100% sure that just 16 people holding the base is enough
    - Other squads would be helping to set up the mortar base and working out action plans. That alone would take up around 10 to 15 minutes by my estimates (based on experience from One Life)
    - Taliban would actually have to be pretty quick in setting up, because while Camp Solitude is being set up, they also have to move around without being too noticeable as enemy combatants

Do you guys have any input on the balance or gameplay for this and should I join as an event organizer seeing as this would probably only be a one off for me?
    Danielj15 likes this.
  5. Offline

Community Dept. Squad Lead Admin - EU Moderator Senior Tester Foxtrot OU Tournament - Member Donor

Chav
    Squad Name:
    Chav
    What you're talking about here would take a considerable amount of administration or "game mastering", some of these things aren't able to be controlled by predefined changes to the map or server settings. This, inherently means there's a larger chance of "failure" for every "rule" that you introduce that isn't explicitly explained in the brief. In addition, there is a chance that people wont read the rules, this is why onelife is such a good idea because it doesn't (really) require someone to read any rules and they wont impact other people as a result of this. Just some things for you to consider.
    Blaze. and Danielj15 like this.
  6. Offline
    Danielj15 Danielj15 Daniel

PR:BF2 Resident Administrator Tester

Year 9
    Danielj15
    Squad Name:
    Danielj15
    DayZ Name:
    Danielj15
    WALB Name:
    Danielj15
    could you do this as a sign up event ?
    tobi-the-fraggel likes this.
  7. Offline

Chav
    Squad Name:
    Chav
    The server wouldn't fill, not enough people play PR :frown:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Blaze. likes this.
  8. Offline

Member Foxtrot

Poor Student
    Azivegu
    what if we have trusted squad leaders who know how to manage a squad predesignated to a role? My experience is that a good SL usually can get its guys in line. Also, I have made a fairly high res map (included in first post) which can help communications and where people are allowed to go.
    And, as Danielj15 suggested, a sign up could help a bit as people would be a bit more committed. I would be more than willing to command to make sure rules are known.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 18, 2017 ---
    Seriously? PRTA is regularly full and if we get other groups on board (making it a clan squad event is usually liked) I think we can get it filled up.
    Danielj15 likes this.
  9. Offline

PR:BF2 Recruitment Officer PR:BF2 Junior Administrator Member OU Tournament - Member PRTA

[RIP]Oskar
    A signup event is not impossible but it needs a bit of work.. I organized a 200- player battle with a few story-based changes in 2012, sign ups + reserves were full within a very short time. I did put in a few weeks of work for that to happen. Search for Rusty Bayonet on reality mod.com and you would find the threads i think. So a large scale signup event is possible but not easy.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f37...-operation-rusty-bayonet-battle-ia-drang.html
    http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...n/110211-sign-up-operation-rusty-bayonet.html

I think client side changes to the map could be very difficult to motivate, but if your game rules are simple enough and there is indeed a very clear command structure and a predefined brief, it could sort of work. None of the game master changes I wanted to implement in my event worked out according to plan, and not everyone followed the rules. My event also featured a delayed attack by one of the teams, which ended up not really happening... people attacked anyway and there wasn't much you could do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Blaze., Azivegu and Chav like this.
  10. Offline

Events PR:BF2 Recruitment Scout PRTA OU Tournament - Organiser OU Tournament - Leader

Arnoldio
    Ill see what i can do about it Azivegu.
    tobi-the-fraggel and Danielj15 like this.
  11. Offline

Chav
    Squad Name:
    Chav
    Azivegu To be honest, this probably wont happen unless someone comes onto the team in order to fulfil the event. We do not have enough staff members to do this in timely, quality manner at this moment in time.
    Danielj15 likes this.
  12. Offline

Arnoldio
    Don't talk bs, I said I'll look into it.
  13. Offline

Chav
    Squad Name:
    Chav
  14. Offline

Arnoldio
    Danielj15 and Chav like this.
  15. Offline

Member Foxtrot

Poor Student
    Azivegu
    Thanks Arnoldio. This is really the kind of feedback I need.

For the HMG's, it would be a standard FOB (in my vision) so only two. If it is possible, maybe four, but that is more in the case of if it is possible to help the defending team help defend. Otherwise they better learn how to use sandbags.

The 50% is also not supposed to be meant as a hard rule, but rather an indication that if only 1 person gets back, then we can all agree that it was a failure.

For the outside help, what if we set it up in a way that you can only spawn in at main? That coupled with the having to be in a squad could help.

For the supply drop, in hindsight I can say I agree with that.

Concerning the Evac, that should really be up to the command of the German team. If they see it to be feasible to get a successful evac with a chopper, than they may. But if it is too hot for that they can also go in with vehicles. Both have there merits and risks. I kind of see it as the challenge to the event.

About the Taliban Hideout, it is more to make sure there is some activity around the marked Activity Area. This event should really be a challenge for the Germans in making them actually earn the win.
    Danielj15 likes this.
  16. Offline

Arnoldio
    We can set any number of HMGs, although I think 2 or 3 is the max for this scenario, more is just useless in such hilly terrains.

We can easily restrict spawning at main only. RP and FOB spawns disabled and voila. The issue is that this would probably make hideouts not spawnable aswell. To circumvent that, we could enable RP's just for taliban, which would IMO be an even better solution since they have to fall back and create a RP, not just spawn indefinitely.

The evac vehicles I would suggest the Ins Std layer, and we can simply remove all Pumas or leave one Puma in. We get 2x Fuchs APCs and the schopper, plus a few G wagens and some trucks.

Taliban would automatically be going to the target area, since it's the point of the event. Cache spawn can be delayed to 99999 and there you go, no caches to worry about so the gameplay is focused only on the german FOB.
    Azivegu, Blaze., Chav and 1 other person like this.
  17. Offline

Member Foxtrot

Poor Student
    Azivegu
    Sorry, have been away for the past few days so not much time to be online.

With the HMG's I was think you would need to cover the NE, E and SE as that is really the only place where it would be effective. The rest of the area has a downhill slope.

When it comes to vehicles, I think we are on the same idea. A Puma can easily overwhelm the taliban and give an unfair advantage (my idea is really that the Germans have to earn a victory, not just roll into one) but for the evac a chopper, fuchs and/or G-wagen should be available (and of course logi's as should go without saying)

About the FOB and RP spawning. I wonder if that is doable since it might unfairly give an advantage to the Germans. But I can see something in it. Of course it means the Taliban have to be more tactical, which I like, but it could also help balance the intensity of the assault. That was one of my primary concerns as we all know that after a while, how shitty the opponent is, they will eventually push through and overrun you if they just keep up the fire long enough.
    I would say if we only enable RP's that maybe we should allow up to three squads to hold the position and anyone who dies can spawn at main and help prepare for the rescue. I would recommend that then a new squad be made to allow them in as there should be no re-enforcements of any kind to the base.

But honestly how you are describing it Arnoldio, I think we may have an event. How should we take this forward (if there is nothing else to further discuss)? I am free this week so I can help wherever needed (testing, advertising, etc.).
    Nightwalker likes this.
  18. Offline
    WeedT0aster WeedT0aster "One Man's Army"

Member Israeli Lions Enlisted

WeedT0aster
    if you guys organize it correctly with the right people to brief and do sign-ups correctly and do couple of trainings in some PRTA dedicated servers we might end up with a really good event, I think this should be another main event, it is an exclusive idea and should be making a name for it just like one life event, this is a very good idea and I do believe in it to be a successful event if it is done correctly, it is going to take a hell lot of time and dedication and work but it would have a great result ! I thumb this idea up :smile:
    tobi-the-fraggel likes this.