1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Become a member of PRTA today, fill out the application form here.
  3. Hey Guest, It'd be great if you'd consider making a small contribution here. All support is greatly appreciated!

Information Anti-Air (Stationary/Manpad)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Chaoz, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Chaoz Chaoz We like sports and we don't care who knows

Dank meme Historian
    PR:BF2 Name:
    Chaoz
    So there sometimes a lot of confusion on how AA works, I've had people tell me it's wire guided, or keeping a lock increases your chances of a hit. Unfortunately that's wrong, the mechanics of the game are simple for AA, and I will help you get better at it.

First: know your target

All aircraft are different in the way they react to AA, this comes down to speed, how flares deploy and how manuverable the aircraft is.

The faster the aircraft, the more you need to lead your target, the missile isn't fully fire and forget, and to increase your chances you need to lead the missile ahead of the aircraft to avoid the flares realising at the rear.

Some aircraft pop flares that move forward with the aircraft and fall below it, others pop flares that sit behind the aircraft, for example CAS choppers and Ospreys respectably. This means you also need to adjust your aim to get the missile as close to the aircraft so that in the event of a flare lock, the missile will explode near enough to the aircraft to cripple it, or make it rtb.

So from what we have covered so far, shooting at a Kiowa from 300m away, immediately after full lock tone, aim your crosshair higher and infront of the aircraft.

The next topic comes into effect when foreign from behind an aircraft.
    This is not recommended at all, unless very desperate AA is needed.
    You need to ignore everything you've learned and just aim directly at the aircraft, sometimes you mig have to aim lower for choppers. The idea here is that the flares spread away from the aircraft, so you are "threading the needle" so to speak. A manuverable aircraft will move side to side causing the missile to track a flare, whereas heavy trans like a chinook or Chinese flying trans tank will struggle to move back and forth quickly enough.

The next topic is an unconfirmed method, but use in the field has lead me to this conclusion.

Time your fire right, and you'll fool the pilot.
    Again this is unconfirmed but I've seen many pilot just ignore my missile when I do this so I assume something is working in my favour.

The second you hear a lock, or if you have ammo, and experience, fire your missile just a hair before tone, after you fire the missile, do a 180 degree turn and aim at the sky to break your lock on the aircraft, even though you are unscoped in the AA the AA will still continue to lock, do a 180 and "lock" a new target.
    This in my mind makes the lock warning for the pilot incredibly short, making him think it was a failed lock, and he will cancel the flare pop. This method depends on the relation speed of the pilot and how experienced he is. Your tone needs to be very short, short enough for the average person to override their reaction to popping flares, average human reaction time is 1.5 seconds iirc.

And I think that's pretty much it, if you feel I missed anything please bring it up below.
  2. ReapersPr0digy ReapersPr0digy Currently watching PRTA go off the deep end

Dream killer
    ReapersPr0digy
    We can go test your theory on the test airfield if you want. Also, can I edit this for typos?
    Chaoz likes this.
  3. Chaoz Chaoz We like sports and we don't care who knows

Dank meme Historian
    Chaoz
    Go ahead, iPad was being bibitchbitch and wouldn't let me move my cursor
  4. Nate. Nate. No Unit No Hope

Nate.

EminentEnd, Flix and Mattytoosack like this.